2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 5:26 AM by simplex-software

JBDS 7 - Create entities from tables doesn't seem to work in JPA projects

simplex-software

Greetings,

I have recently installed JBDS 7 and using it with EAP 6.1.1. I was using very often with previous releases of JBDS the "generate entities from tables" function. But I tried recently with JBDS 7 and it doesn't seem to work.

I even don't know how to describe the problem because there is no error message, no warning, no anything I could think at. It simply doesn't work. I create a JPA project, a JDBC connection to a local database, I test the JDBC connection and am able to browse the database. Finally I'm using JPA Tools->Generate Entities from Tables and I click Finish, as shown below. But nothing happens. Nothing gets generated and, as I said, no any error message in the log file.

I'm pretty sure it worked with JBDS 6. The only thing I could think at is that now I'm using Java SE 7. What could be the problem here ?

Many thanks in advance.

Nicolas

• 1. Re: JBDS 7 - Create entities from tables doesn't seem to work in JPA projects
          maxandersen

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Can you actually browse the hr-model in the console configuration view ?

Maybe there is some issue there that the jpa generate model menu item "swallows" instead of logging properly.

• 2. Re: JBDS 7 - Create entities from tables doesn't seem to work in JPA projects
            simplex-software

I'm updating the case. I created exactly the same schema in a MySQL database and then the "Generate entities from tables" works properly. But it still continues to silently fail with the Oracle database. I think it has something to do with the notions of catalog and schemas. In MySQL, schema and catalog are synonyms. But in Oracle, upon the creation of the JDBC connection, the field catalog is a non editable combo box which only proposes USERS, SYS and ALL. These corresponds with the tablespaces in the database. And it seems to me that, when trying to generate entities, it trie to generate from all the tables in the catalog, for example USERS. And the process never finishes, giving the impression that nothing happens.

So, I would be very obligated if anyone using Oracle databases to generate entity from tables could give me a hint of how to handle this catalog stuff.