12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 7:49 AM by henri.tremblay

WTP stops all servers when stopping one

henri.tremblay

I'm quite disappointed with the pain I'm getting by using Indigo, m2e, m2e-wtp and JBoss Tools.

I have two JBoss 5.0 community servers configured. When stopping one, the other stops as well...

I've change the entire bindings.xml to have different ports. I've also modified the server.xml from jbossweb.

It's a JBoss 5.0.1GA

It's absolutly systematic.

Anymore has an idea?

I can give more details if needed and it's pretty urgent.

Thanks a lot

• 1. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
          rob.stryker

Hi Henri! 

The server has its own ports that it listens to in the bindings xml, as you know. Unfortunately, the tools cannot automatically know exactly how you launched your server and everything about it. If you open the server editor, (double-click the server), you can see a section labeled "Ports".  Here, the tools outline what ports they EXPECT to communicate with the server on.

These are automatically discovered via xpaths, but, if you change your binding ports via launch args, then odds are the toolset is using the wrong xpath. IT's most  likely using the xpaths for the default bindings, scanning your xml files for that xpath, and then taking that value. You can get around this by unchecking "Automatically Detect" and instead putting in the direct port you want the eclipse plugins to use when communicating with that server.

Another option is to click on "configure", and, in the dialog that comes up, select one of the other xpaths that are listed.  (To add your own xpaths, in the servers view, expand the server, and the section labeled "XML Configuration". Inside, you should see a Ports folder, and, in there, you can add your own xpaths.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
            henri.tremblay

Hi, thanks for your answer.

As I mentionned, my port are definitely not the same. I've modified them directly in the bindings.xml. Without changing anything to the server configuration in Eclipse (it's still automatically detecting and the list of ports shown is what I would expect)

• 3. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
              henri.tremblay

Hum... I now have 4 servers and when I stop one, it's always the same that dies.

The ports of the server I stop are 18080 and 11099 for instance.

The ports of the server that stops are 8080 and 1099

• 4. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                henri.tremblay

Just changed the port of my stopping server to 58080 and it still stops.

I'm on Windows with a JDK 1.6.0_29.

• 5. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                  rob.stryker

When you double-click on the server with ports 18080 and 11099,  what do you see in the Server Editor section labeled ports? I imagine you see something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/DAXyd.png

In this page you see 8080 and 1099, even though your server has launched with 18080 and 11099.  You must uncheck the "automatically detect" button, type in the ports manually, and save the editor.

• 6. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                    henri.tremblay

Oh! And the stopped server is the first of the list. I doesn't matter if it's the first started, it's always this one that stops. All servers are derived from a web profile

I also have an issue with starting and stopping the servers. I'm using the Web Port startup poller and frequently if I launch two servers at the same time, one of them starts correctly but Eclipse never notice and waits for the timeout. When stopping, it frequently fails to notice a server has stopped (using process terminated poller)

• 7. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                      henri.tremblay

No, I'm seeing 18080 and 11099.

• 8. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                        maxandersen

Did you configure the ports in the server editor (double click on the server) to use the right ports ? They might not be detected correctly automatically ?

• 9. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                          maxandersen

never mind me - didn't see Rob's response before me

• 10. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                            henri.tremblay

I'm back from Christmas but still with my issue. BTW, my client is running on JBoss EAP 5.0.1 on RedHat in production. That's why I would like him to use JBoss in development. I'm managed to get a quick startup with a tweaked web profile but this WTP issue is really puzzling me.

If no one has an idea, can you help me to debug? What should I do to give you more information?

• 11. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                              maxandersen

Try start *one* server running on different ports and see if *stop* will stop that one server.

if not, then something is foobar in our adapter and it somehow fallsback to the default ports.

• 12. Re: WTP stops all servers when stopping one
                                henri.tremblay

Yes. They are stopping perfectly. Also, when both servers are launched, both server are stopped. Not only the wrong one.

The strange thing is that I changed the ports of the first server to be something else than the default. The behavior stayed. So it seems to fallback to the first server in the list.