3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 9:30 PM by salaboy21

HornetQTaskServer

bwallis42

I'm looking at integration of jBPM5  (using the CR1 release with the 5.2.0-alpha version of drools) with our web application and am trying to learn how the human task interface works to see how I might use it to interact with our web interface. We need to have a list of tasks inside one of our pages and interact with it in various ways.

I came across the HornetQTaskServer and am curious about how this is used. I cannot find any documentation or examples for this. Anyone familiar with this and have some idea how and when it should be used?

I have to say that I am struggling to get my mind around how jBPM is integrated into our environment, there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation available and the lack of much in the way of javadoc comments in the classes makes it hard work understanding how it all works. Class comments giving a brief explanation of a class's purpose would be great.

• 1. HornetQTaskServer
          salaboy21

Hi Brian,

We are working on documentation and more sources of information like a jBPM5 book, but it's all work in progress.. I would like to help you to understand how components interacts in the mean time.

If you take a look at the MinaTaskServer, I think that will be easier for you to understand because it's a plain socket communication based on messages.

The HornetQTaskServer works in the same way but adding all the advantages of using a JMS client/server. You will get message retrying, message reliability and Queues clustering for free. Depending on your requirements you can choose the Mina Server or the HornetQServer, or you can implement your own transport to fulfill your requirements.

I will be glad to help you and I'm also will start writing some post about those topics with examples. Thanks for the feedback and if you have doubts or if you find issues let us know!

Greetings!

• 2. HornetQTaskServer
            bwallis42

Thanks for that. I rather like the idea of the JMS queue for this having designed and built a jms based system hosted in jboss some years ago. I've looked at the Mina stuff and it is back down to the old TCP socket programming I was hoping to avoid :-)

I'll create a more general topic for a question on architecture/integration.

• 3. HornetQTaskServer
              salaboy21

Hehe.. totally Agree.. Mina was choosen as a reference implementation. Mina is fast, support multiple clients and it's messages are pretty small.

I will be waiting for the other topic.

Greetings!