Installation of Apache on Mac OS
1) Download Apache 1.3.x Binary from
I chose apache_1.3.29-powerpc-apple-darwin7.0.0.tar.gz
Downloaded into my home directory /Users/anil
2) Install Apache
$ tar xvf apache_1.3.29-powerpc-apple-darwin7.0.0.tar
$ cd apache_1.3.29/
$ ./install-bindist.sh ~/apache1.3.29
Note: I chose apache1.3.29 as the directory. You can choose whatever you want.
3) Since Apache by default runs on port 80, you will need the admin password for your Mac. Change yourself into admin user using the sudo command.
$ sudo sh
We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:
1) Respect the privacy of others.
2) Think before you type.
4) Since now you are the admin, go to the directory where apache is installed.
./apachectl start: httpd started
Note: To stop Apache on Unix, use ./apachectl stop
5) Check your Apache installation by going to the browser and running:
You should see the default Apache page.
More info can be got from the attached file.