1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 2:23 PM by alrubinger

EJB3 managed component names and types

ips

"refs-ejb3-ejblink.ear-EjbLink1Bean-metrics-instance"
      "refs-ejb3-ejblink.ear-EjbLink1Bean-metrics-invocation"

A dash doesn't seem like the best choice as a delimiter here, since dashes will commonly be found in the ear filename and may even be found in the ejb name. It makes the component name difficult to parse or query on. I suggest using '|' or '/' as the delimiter instead, e.g.:

"refs-ejb3-ejblink.ear/EjbLink1Bean/metrics-instance"

This allows me to easily parse out the three tokens that comprise the name.

As for the last portion of the name, this seems redundant to be included in every name. Why not make it part of the component type name instead, e.g.:

name: refs-ejb3-ejblink.ear/EjbLink1Bean
      type: EJB3:SLSB-instance

Even better, why can't the instance and invocation metrics all be exposed by the same component type, so there would be a single component per EJB?

• 1. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
          ips

After thinking about this some more, the instance metrics and invocation metrics for a given EJB3 SLSB are currently exposed via two different component instances, both of type EJB3:SLSB. This goes against the rule that all components of a given type should have the same signature (i.e. set of properties and operations). At least I think this should be a rule, and I think Scott is in agreement. Otherwise, clients end up needing to first query by type and then parse the returned component names to determine the component's "sub-type", rather than being able to query on the type alone.

So in this case, I think we should either have

1) a single component type EJB3:SLSB with one component instance of that type per SLSB that exposes both instance and invocation metrics

or

2) two component types EJB3:SLSB-instance and EJB3:SLSB-invocation with one component instance for each of these types per SLSB

Thoughts?

• 2. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
            alrubinger

I'll reply to this one very generally. :)

Citing: http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=156782

As an EJB3 team member, I don't have any opinion/input on what the mappings should be. Things like naming conventions and desired properties are requests of the Jopr project.

I've introduced the test case in AS to halt the changing requirements. From the onset I haven't had clear definition, and we've had many change/release/integration requests already. Let's get everything ironed in contract in Branch_5_x, clear the test, and then merge when done.

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/branches/Branch_5_x/testsuite/src/main/org/jboss/test/profileservice/test/Ejb3MetricsUnitTestCase.java

S,
            ALR

• 3. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
              ips

Sure, I can update the test case for what I'd like to see this look like. Before I do, can you verify that 1) is possible from a technical perspective (i.e. merging the instance and invocation MO pairs into single MOs)? If not, I'll update the test case for 2).

I'm sorry you weren't given a clearer definition up front. I think it's partly because the Profile Service is so new and best practices for designing managed objects did not yet exist. I will start a new forum thread on MO design best practices, where I'll start off a list. Once we come to consensus, I'll create a page on the Wiki.

• 4. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                alrubinger

Sure, both 1) and 2) are OK.

Also I'm not complaining / mandating this test case because I'm upset; you guys have been helpful in IRC. But I believe we can be more efficient than we've been in recent weeks. ;)

S,
                ALR

• 5. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                  ips

I've updated the test to reflect 1) in r90106. Note, I also renamed the stats-related props and ops to "*invocationStats" rather than just "*Stats", since they will no longer live in MOs specific to invocation metrics.

Still left to do in the test:

1) Deploy an EAR that contains an EJB-JAR containing the various types of EJBs, so we can test the component name format is as expected for EJB's inside EARs (e.g. "my.ear/MySFSB").

2) Include MDBs and Entity Beans in the test EJB-JARs and implement tests for the corresponding MOs.

ALR, if you agree with the above action items, would you please implement them?

Thanks,
                  Ian

• 6. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                    alrubinger

Yep, I'll take care of those, thanks for the test updates.

S,
                    ALR

• 7. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                      ips

Oh, I forgot to add a name prop to the list of expected props (its value would be the EJB name, and it would be ViewUse.CONFIGURATION and read-only). I just added it.

• 8. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                        alrubinger

I've integrated into Branch_5_x jboss-ejb3-metrics-deployer which passes Ian's acceptance tests.

Still need to:

* Do the EAR tests
                        * The MDB tests
                        * Entity tests (as recently requested in JBAS-7008 comment).

Will look into those tomorrow evening; I'm off of dev during the day this week only for RHCT training.

S,
                        ALR

• 9. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                          ips

I've added the MDB and entity tests. I've also added tests for checking the format of the "invocationStats" property. They check that the property is in the same format that Jason used for the EJB2 invocation stats (as we discussed a few weeks back, it makes sense for you gusy to both use the same metatype). I also renamed the component subtypes to be consistent with the subtypes that Jason used for EJB2.

Tests for EJBs within EARs still need to be added.

• 10. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                            alrubinger

"ips" wrote:
                            I've added the MDB and entity tests. I've also added tests for checking the format of the "invocationStats" property. They check that the property is in the same format that Jason used for the EJB2 invocation stats (as we discussed a few weeks back, it makes sense for you gusy to both use the same metatype). I also renamed the component subtypes to be consistent with the subtypes that Jason used for EJB2.

Hero. :D

"ips" wrote:
                            Tests for EJBs within EARs still need to be added.

I'll do these.

S,
                            ALR

• 11. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                              alrubinger

I've pushed another alpha release of the metrics deployer, this one:

* Includes the MetaMapper for the invocation statistics
                              * Updates the component subtypes as requests

SLSB and SFSB tests now passing again. There are some TODOs in the tests themselves I haven't yet done anything with; were those intended for me or were you marking it for yourself for later, Ian?

MDB and Entity tests still not passing as no MDBs or Entities are deployed. ;) These should be pretty trivial, but I've got to call it a night and stop here for now.

Outstanding question: "invocationStatsLastResetTime" is a managed property upon the MOs themselves, but is also available via the "invocationStats" mapped property. Which would you like (I'm assuming not both)?

I believe the weekly Jopr confcall is tomorrow, though I'll be unavailable by voice I'll try to pop into IRC if I can.

S,
                              ALR

• 12. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                                alrubinger

In Branch_5_x now all tests are passing for SFSB, SLSB, MDB. Ian, please review and once approved, I'll cut Beta-level releases and merge into JBPAPP_5_0.

Note I've removed Entity metrics from scope:

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7008

S,
                                ALR

• 13. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                                  alrubinger

Last round of requests from Ian was:

1) Use delimiter "/" between EAR, JAR, and EJB names when constructing the component name
                                  2) Add tests for EAR deployments
                                  3) Address non-unique component name collisions due to improper JAR-level scoping of EJB names (https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPAPP-2124)

These have been done and are integrated into Branch_5_x. If approved I'll recut the release as a GA level and merge into JBPAPP.

S,
                                  ALR

• 14. Re: EJB3 managed component names and types
                                    ips

Everything looks good to me. Please proceed with cutting a release and merging into the EAP branch.

1 2 Previous Next