1 2 3 4 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2008 2:35 PM by sait Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Download JBDS or
        koen.aers

"ericcart" wrote:

At the end, the subscription value should be at a certified, stable, upgradeable, deployable, supportable tool oriented to enterprises. With partners, training, etc, etc.

Eric, this is exactly what JBDS is all about. I honestly don't understand the arguments you are making. If you want the functionality of JBDS but are not interested in the additional services such as certified compatibility with EAP, upgrades and developer support than that is fine: just download the JBoss Tools and install them in Eclipse. All the bits are open source and free, for the $99 you get the additional services. It is up to you to consider that valuable or not.

Regards,
        Koen

• 16. Re: Download JBDS or
          landsoflord

Well Max,

Yesterday I bought a subscription. But if I log in I cannot find a link for downloading.

• 17. Re: Download JBDS or

Koen,

Technically, I understand your point about Eclips+Tools+Seam is almost the same than JBDS.

At least, you must admit the marketing strategy It's flawed. You are distributing under the JBoss umbrella a Red Hat subscription (services) to the integrated Studio (software).

I'm sure, right now, everybody is buying the subscription to get access to the software.

"Now you can develop applications much more easily, via the Eclipse-based tooling that is fully integrated with the included JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP)." source: JBoss Newsletter | December 2007 | JBoss Developer Studio is here.

... so in the other way It's more difficult.

For example, everybody wants the download link... not an access "inside" the restricted area.

Regards,
            Eric

• 18. Re: Download JBDS or
              maxandersen

Eric - JBoss moved to red hat/fedora model months ago if you did not realize that.

JBoss Tools vs. JBoss Developer Studio is the same difference as between JBoss AS/Seam and JBoss EAP. One is for free and non-supported, the other is available as part of the support offerings.

The new thing here is that you now do not need to get a full subscription to get access to the jboss/red hat software. You go get the 99$ package.

• 19. Re: Download JBDS or
                maxandersen

"landsoflord" wrote:
                Well Max,

Yesterday I bought a subscription. But if I log in I cannot find a link for downloading.

Did you try the contact options/report issue available when you have logged in.

• 20. Re: Download JBDS or
                  landsoflord

my goodness.

The only thing I want is downloading it after I paid for it.
                  Now I log in and then what?

I can't imagine Im the only one with this issue.

Do I need to login into Redhat or Jboss???

• 21. Re: Download JBDS or
                    maxandersen

Well it worked for me ;)

But as I said I would like to know if you already reported the issue within the options in the jboss/redhat online shop ?

If no - then please do that.
                    If yes - then please let me know what issue id you got so I can push for a solution.

• 22. Re: Download JBDS or
                      enesterov

landsoflord,

You r not alone. I purchased studio yesterday in order to save some time... Still can not get it. And here is the funny part - customer support can not find it too.

• 23. Re: Download JBDS

At me a similar problem
                        I have paid yesterday for studio and till now I can not receive it
                        Has sent the letter to a support service and while has received only number issue - #142069
                        Other answers are not present

• 24. Re: Download JBDS or
                          magoicochea

Max

The issue I have with downloading JBoss Tools + Eclipse is that then what extra configuration has to be done to work it with Seam?

Which version of JBoss AS do I have to download? And my biggest fear, how many jars do I need to download to make it work?

If you could point me where can I find this documentation and where can I find the jars I need to download then I think that there would not be any problem.

By the way, if I purchase the $99 subscription how many copies of JBDS can I install? One per subscription? Because JBDS is GPL so I am a little confused here.

• 25. Re: Download JBDS or

About Licenses... Eclipses is EPL...

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#COMPILEWOMOD

Can I take a Program licensed under the EPL, compile it without modification, and commercially license the result?
                            Yes. You may compile a Program licensed under the EPL without modification and commercially license the result in accordance with the terms of the EPL.

Do I need to include the source code for such Program with the object code distribution?
                            No. But you do need to include a statement that the source code is available from you and information on how to obtain it.

Regards,
                            Eric

• 26. Re: Download JBDS or
                              maxandersen

"magoicochea" wrote:
                              Max

The issue I have with downloading JBoss Tools + Eclipse is that then what extra configuration has to be done to work it with Seam?

Add the seam runtime by pointing to a seam download.

Just like when you add a new JDK or any other set of libraries in normal eclipse/ide usage.

Which version of JBoss AS do I have to download? And my biggest fear, how many jars do I need to download to make it work?

Get the AS server you want to use. Seam docs describes its requirements.
                              The plugins works with JBoss AS 3.2 to 4.2.x

If you could point me where can I find this documentation and where can I find the jars I need to download then I think that there would not be any problem.

You mean for Seam development ?

Download Seam, JBoss AS 4.2, Eclipse and our plugins and you should be pretty well covered.

By the way, if I purchase the $99 subscription how many copies of JBDS can I install? One per subscription? Because JBDS is GPL so I am a little confused here.

Red Hat is also GPL; same conditions ;)

• 27. Re: Download JBDS or
                                maxandersen

"ericcart" wrote:

About Licenses... Eclipses is EPL...

yes - same goes for alot of our plugins.

It is JBDS that is GPL, which does not mean all parts will be GPL.

• 28. Re: Download JBDS
                                  chuck76

"volvov54" wrote:
                                  At me a similar problem
                                  I have paid yesterday for studio and till now I can not receive it
                                  Has sent the letter to a support service and while has received only number issue - #142069
                                  Other answers are not present

Same here... Purchased today, received an email from RedHat ("New Subscription Activation of JBoss Developer Studio"), Quote: "The Red Hat subscriptions recently purchased for this account are now available for download and are immediately accessible through Red Hat Network."

There's a download link contained in the mail pointing to RedHat Network that ONLY contains ISO Images of classic RedHat Linux Software products.

Where do I download the software? At RedHat or at JBoss?

Pretty frustrating, don't you test this kind of stuff before going public with the 1.0 release?

rgds

• 29. Re: Download JBDS or
                                    maxandersen

chuck, I raised it to the production team and they are working on finding out what happend.

And no of course we did not test it things just work automatically. (that last part was humour)

;)

1 2 3 4 Previous Next