2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 6:11 AM by ctomc

OSGi  Container in JBOSS EAP 6.4.0

fxthomas

hello,

I wanted to know if the JBOSS EAP 6.4.0 has OSGI container service by default or it needs to be configured in order to do so. I am new to EAP so just wante dto know. I saw some post on how to activate the OSGI in EAP 6.4.0 but i see some issues . I also read somewhere  that the JBOSS OSGI container is not\will be supported in future , is it true ?  And currently work is only to make it complaint in Wildfly.

To my real question . I have a Camel project which i need to deploy on JBOSS EAP 6.4.0.  , should I package it as an osgi Bundle or a WAR to deploy it . I have experience using OSGI bundle in serviceMix but not sure if OSGI is the right way to go for JBOSS EAP.

Any pointer will help .

regards,

Felix T  

• 1. Re: OSGi  Container in JBOSS EAP 6.4.0
          jaysensharma

You can deploy spring based Camel WARs/EARs in EAP6.4 however the blueprint based camel are not supported. You can either package the camel/spring jars inside the application or else you can create a JBoss module containing the camel+spring classes.

If you are planning to use OSGI based applications then you should go for JBoss Fuse instead. As the JBoss Fuse is an OSGi container, that is based on Apache Karaf, and it's architecture is defined by the OSGi Service Platform Core Specification.

Regards

Jay SenSharma

• 2. Re: OSGi  Container in JBOSS EAP 6.4.0
            ctomc

Well, if you have option, don't go with OSGi at all.

EAP 6.x does have OSGi container present, but needs to be enabled by adding osgi subsystem configuration to standalone.xml.

It was added in 6.0 as technology preview, but it was deprecated in 6.1 and it never got any updates after that time. EAP7 won't include it as well.

If you want to deploy camel project you don't really need OSGi.

you could also take a look at wildfly-camel extension https://github.com/wildfly-extras/wildfly-camel

which enabled easier and better integration of camel with WildFly, and will work also in upcoming EAP7.

maybe thomas.diesler can tell more about this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful