2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 8:54 AM by fox123

Invalid dates in MySQL source tables are shown as NULL values in Teiid

fox123

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem on loading source tables from MySQL containing columns defined as DATE as datatype.

In particular, I have this table:

create table my.test (col1 DATE NOT NULL);

with the following rows:

insert into my.test VALUES('2015-10-01');
      insert into my.test VALUES('0000-00-00');

When I query this table in Teiid, as a result, the invalid date '0000-00-00' is shown as NULL value.

As a side effect, when I run a query with a "IS NOT NULL" condition:

select * from my.test where col1 is not null;

the query is fully pushed down to MySQL that returns both rows, since the NULL value is actually not null in the source:

col1
      2015-10-01
      <null>

but I would expect the second row to be not returned by this query.

On the other side, the "IS NULL" condition returns the expected result (only the row with NULL value).

I wondered if showing an invalid date as NULL is a correct/expected behavior.

• 1. Re: Invalid dates in MySQL source tables are shown as NULL values in Teiid
          shawkins

> I wondered if showing an invalid date as NULL is a correct/expected behavior.

There isn't really a correct behavior here.  Mysql has non-standard behavior around the 0 / invalid datetime value and it appears you have already set zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull.  Beyond that you would probably have to set the Teiid datatype of the column to string to differentiate between null and the 0 value.

• 2. Re: Invalid dates in MySQL source tables are shown as NULL values in Teiid
            fox123

Thanks for your reply.

I can confirm you that I have already set zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull to avoid the exception "java.sql.SQLException: Value '0000-00-00' can not be represented as java.sql.Date" thrown by the JDBC driver.

If I add a cast to string, I can correctly see the 0 value and I can distinguish it from a real null.