2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 1:30 PM by wdfink

How to configure two nodes in cluster as active and passive?

snagula

Hi

I am able to configure two nodes in a cluster in WildFly 9, -each node starting in "standalone" mode and using default multicast address 230.0.0.4.

However, how to configure one of them to be only "passive"?  Only if the active node (which seems to be the default mode in JBoss) crashes,

do I want the "passive" node to become "active" and serve requests. Can it be done and how?

Appreciate any pointers and suggestions greatly.

Thanks

Srini

• 1. Re: How to configure two nodes in cluster as active and passive?
          rhusar

Are you talking about EJB/HTTP session replication or JMS clustering?

What is the motivation for having a server in a passive mode? That would be essentially degrading perfromance since 50% of the hardware will be left idle.

What kind of loadbalancer are you using? With mod_cluster you can configure a node "hot-standby" (by setting the load to 0).

• 2. Re: How to configure two nodes in cluster as active and passive?
            wdfink

I saw that by switching the IP address of the server in case of failure.

But as Radoslav already mentionend this is not the purpose of a cluster.

What you might do with WildFly is to implement a EJB NodeSelector and name the nodes Primary* and Backup* and as long you find a node named Primary* you select this one.

But it will make no sense to me, only make the environment more complex.