3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 6:58 AM by realkobe

HornetQ Failback does not always work

realkobe

Hi there,

I use hornetq-2.4.0.Final (2.5.0.SNAPSHOT) and I setup 3 servers

• instance0 as live
      • instance1 as backup
      • instance2 as backup

I want always instance0 as live when it runs, thus <allow-failback>true</allow-failback> in each hornetq-configuration.xml

Nevertheless it not always runs that way

commandinstance0instance1instance2
      start instance0livexx
      start instance1livebackupx
      start instance2livebackupwaiting
      stop instance0xlivebackup
      start instance0waitinglivebackup
      stop instance1backupxlive
      some time laterlivexbackup

instance0 logs just before waiting

10:05:30,753 INFO  [org.hornetq.core.server] HQ221109: HornetQ Backup Server version 2.5.0.SNAPSHOT (Wild Hornet, 124) [null] started, waiting live to fail before it gets active 

Why does not instance0 go back as live while instance1 is still running?

Regards

Stephan

• 1. Re: HornetQ Failback does not always work
          ataylor

There is an example that does exactly that, take a look at the configurations and start there.

• 2. Re: HornetQ Failback does not always work
            realkobe

Hi,

I assume you mean the multiple-failover-failback example. I did look at it but did not find any hints. This example uses <allow-failback>true</allow-failback> - just as I do.

I also assume I don't need to set <shared-store>true</shared-store> because I don't want to share the storage.

According the manual (Chapter 39. High Availability and Failover) the setup <failover-on-shutdown>false</failover-on-shutdown> is optional because it stands for another feature: Even on normal shutdown (not a kill) the failover might happen. Nevertheless I set this to true.

Might you please tell me what the important difference is between this configuration and mine?

• 3. Re: HornetQ Failback does not always work
              realkobe

I figured out why multiple-failover-failback works with live/backup/backup: All of the servers use the same (shared) store. This is no option for me because the servers run on different machines and I must not use shared storage.