1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2015 9:33 AM by rareddy

Integrate Teiid Designer with EAP6.3.0

martinmcquinnswinton

I'm hoping you can help me with a problem I am having around server integration and Teiid designer. I must start by saying I'm not that familiar with this platform, this is a research project. So I've been hitting Google pretty hard to try to setup a desktop based sandpit. I'm struggling with connecting the designer client to my testbed server. I think my server and client install is basically functional but I am struffling to integrate them and wondering why Teiid Designer is unable to connect. Here's my situation...

• I'm running on a Win7 based PC testbed using virtualbox to run a Centos6.6 vm with JBOSS and Teiid server installed. The server has 2GB RAM.
      • I installed JBOSS EAP 6.3.0GA. I chose to install this in a directory /jbosseap/jboss_6.3.0 but there are various simlinks created in /usr and also a /jbosseapp/jboss-as symlink to surface a non version specific root.
      • I deployed Teiid server 8.10 through the EAP console. I can stop and start the jboss-as service (did other config to get this) and though it reports some warnings in /var/log/ files, it reports as started when I enter "service jboss-as status"
      • I can log into the console at port 9990 either directly on the Centos host or my windows desktop using a login "jboss".
      • The console reports teiid-odata8.10 and teiid-olingo8.10 under "Manage Deployments".
      • I've installed Eclipse Luna on my win 7 desktop and followed the steps to install Teiid designer. It seems to function in that I can create sources and do the initial steps in the wiki flat file example.

...so I think my server and designer client are basically working and in Designer, when setting up the connection to the server, I could browse the local file system by entering the jboss credentials. However, I am unclear how to setup the server integration and at the moment, don't think I can connect. I can "Start" it but I can't see anything in the server such as children and can't "profile", etc.).

Questions I have are...

• Are there any tests I can do to show the Teiid server is definitely working, or are the above observations enough to show it's OK?
      • Are there any useful log files I could setup or access to see what happens when I change settings, there doesn't seem to be much in the Eclipse Error UI?
      • What settings do I need to adjust for my environment, I've tried...

i) Choosing the remote host, which I identify by IP address
        ii) Browse to the remote server home directories and choose /jbosseap/jboss-as, the symlink directory. It then chooses the standalone sub directory itself, and I have tried both the standalone.xml and standalone-teiid.xml config file
        iii) I chose monitor ports manually, using Offset 0, Web 8080 and Management 9990
        iv) Timeouts are set to 10 seconds
        v) Remote server, Management Operations, Externally Managed, No runtime assigned.

...Everything else is as defaults

• What should I choose for the server home and config file? Do I select the top level jboss-as symlink directory for the home?
      • What size of memory and CPU count should I be using on the server for reasonable performance?

Sadly, I don't have access to a Jboss support arrangement so If anyone can suggest a line of enquiry, to point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate that help.

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Integrate Teiid Designer with EAP6.3.0
          rareddy

Martin,

too many questions .. You started with wrong promise of installing over EAP 6.3, so I will stop reading there, please follow below

There are couple ways to go about doing your research.

1) Download Redhat Data Virtualization product free of charge at JBoss Data Virtualization - Overview and also JBoss Developer Studio at JBoss Developer Studio - Overview 

Both are pretty straight forward to install, "java -jar ..", and give you UI based instructions to install it. The documentation is at Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualization for reference, and you can ask specific questions here always Note that is the product bits, that Redhat sells subscription for, so license restricts use of this in any production type environments.

2) Now the Open Source way. The community version is called "Teiid". You can download the Teiid server from here Downloads · Teiid I suggest you download one says "WITH EAP". You can also download the corresponding Teiid Designer from Download & Install - JBoss Community but for this you can stick with above JBoss Developer Studio as it is free to use, and gives one software to install.

Are there any tests I can do to show the Teiid server is definitely working, or are the above observations enough to show it's OK?

If install as I described above, and start the server it is running, you can look at the log files and see if Teiid is started or any error messages.

• Are there any useful log files I could setup or access to see what happens when I change settings, there doesn't seem to be much in the Eclipse Error UI?

"server.log" in the Teiid Server, in Eclipse when you connect it tells which version of Teiid server you connected to.

What settings do I need to adjust for my environment, I've tried...

It should work as is out of the box, you can change the JVM memory settings if you want in the "standalone.conf" file to increase it. Others highly depend on your needs as how you want it.

• What should I choose for the server home and config file? Do I select the top level jboss-as symlink directory for the home?

server home can be any where you want on your machine, just keep it in mind that do *NOT* choose a path with spaces in it. As for the configuration file, if you install JBoss Data Virtulization you start as

bin\standalone.bat

for community

bin\standalone.bat -c standalone-teiid.xml

as per symlinks that that is your preference, no requirements here.

• What size of memory and CPU count should I be using on the server for reasonable performance?

What are you testing for? It really depends upon your requirements. If you trying to evaluate your laptop is fine, if you want production system then Redhat can help you with sizing when you plan to buy subscription.

• Sadly, I don't have access to a Jboss support arrangement so If anyone can suggest a line of enquiry, to point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate that help.

no worries, we will help you what we can. But note that this is voluntary work and should not be abused. Read the the documents, check the web and ask specific questions about issues you are facing, then we can answer those. If you are looking for professional  and timely answers then Redhat subscription is the another way. So, I suggest read docs and do couple quick start examples to get feet wet.

Hopefully I gave you enough to forge on. Now what do I ask for in return? write blog or tweet after your eval. If you find issues let us know or log it at Teiid - JBoss Issue Tracker, if you have suggestions for improvements or questions ask here, and if you want contribute to anything like docs, code etc then let us know.

Thanks.

Ramesh..