4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 2:18 AM by abhijithumbe

How log in BPM Script Task?

mr.bee

HI Everyone!

I have create a bpmn2 process, and have some script task in it.

Now I want to add some logging there.

How can have logger there? so that I can use it.

regards,

Nabeel

• 1. Re: How log in BPM Script Task?
          pschaefer

If you want to output text to the console you can simply use

System.out.println("Hello World");

in your script task if you use Java as language. Depending on your server configuartion, the server will print this also to its server log.

• 2. Re: How log in BPM Script Task?
            abhijithumbe

Hi,

You can use slf4j/log4j API's in script task to capture logging as well. Foe this you have to declare project dependency on log4j.jar/slf4j.jar, like as:

~~~~

<dependency>

<groupId>log4j</groupId>

<artifactId>log4j</artifactId>

<version>1.2.15</version>

</dependency>

~~~~

Or you can upload log4j/slf4j jar into server repository and then specify project dependency on log4j.jar/slf4j.jar file.To upload log4j/slf4j jar into repository go to "Authoring-->Artifact repository-->upload"(specify groupid,artifactid & version if required).Then go to "Authoring"-->Project authoring-->Tools-->Project Editor-->Dependencies-->Add from Repository. Import 'org.apache.log4j.logger' in BPMN process and configure logging as per your requirement.

Hope it helps..

• 3. Re: How log in BPM Script Task?
              mr.bee

@Patrick i was already using the system.out.println(); that is working, but now want them to replace with some logging api. Either Log4j or jboss-logging.

@Abhijit you got my point, I don't have any issue with configuring the api. The confusion is how can i get the logger in script task. In script i cannot pass the class to logger.getLogger( class ) method because there is no class in my script.

Should i pass any string to get the logger using getLogger(String text) method?

I hope you understand my question.

• 4. Re: How log in BPM Script Task?
                abhijithumbe

Hi,

Yes, we have to use 'getLogger(String)' method. like as:

~~~~

Logger logger = null;

logger = Logger.getLogger("Logger");

logger.info("Process Name:-"+kcontext.getProcessInstance().getProcessName());

logger.info("Node Name:-"+kcontext.getNodeInstance().getNodeName())

~~~~

It will capture logging like as:

=============

11:26:33,995 INFO  [Logger] (http-localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1:8080-2) Process Name:-DemoProcess

11:26:33,995 INFO  [Logger] (http-localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1:8080-2) Node Name:-Script Task

11:26:33,995 INFO  [Logger] (http-localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1:8080-2) Process InstanceID=8

=============

So its really difficult to track logging when we you have multiple process instances running with multiple script tasks. So I will suggest to create logger object like as:

~~~~

Logger logger = null;

logger = Logger.getLogger(kcontext.getProcessInstance().getProcessName()+"|"+kcontext.getNodeInstance().getNodeName()+"|"+kcontext.getProcessInstance().getId());

~~~~

It will capture logging like as:

=============

11:32:46,174 INFO  [DemoProcess|Script Task|10] (http-localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1:8080-1) Process Name:-DemoProcess

. .

=============

With this logging you can easily check processName,NodeName and ProcessInstanceId.

Hope it helps..