5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 8:52 AM by kirantech

Wildfly in Production

kirantech

I am new to this Forum & am looking for advise for our JBoss AS upgrade.

We have been using JBoss 4.2.3 community version for quite some time now successfully & found it stable. However as everything changes we also need to upgrade. Thats when i came to know that the community development is spun off as Wildfly & JBoss EAP is the enterprise series.

Earlier the version numbering was same which is no more the case.

If we want to continue on community edition then what would be a safe version for us  to upgrade to, with stability as an important concern .

We want to move to atleast JEE6. We are currently using primarily Servlets, EJB, JSP, JSF, Webservices.

I am interested in Wildfly 8.2 and will be exploring it subsequently. Is it being used in Production?

Thanks for your replies

• 1. Re: Wildfly in Production
          christopher.halbersma

> Is it being used in Production?

It is here. We've got Wildly 8.1 & 8.2 in production (along with JBOSS EAP 6.3). I would recommend sticking to EAP because you get the RHEL support with it (assuming you use the support).

• 2. Re: Wildfly in Production
            wdfink

You can use the WildFly 8.x in production if you want - there are many installations, with that version you have JavaEE7 support.

EAP6.x is based on the former version 7.x which is JavaEE6 compliant.

The difference to consider is that EAP will have longer release cycles and is supported for years with bugfixes and security updates, see this page.

With EAP you need to pay a subscription but you can stop paying without the need to remove the already used EAP version.

It will make a lot sense to use the knowledbase and the support to have faster solutions.

• 3. Re: Wildfly in Production
              kirantech

Thanks Christopher & Wolf-Dieter

Its good to know that Wildfly is being used in Production.

Will the bug fixes & security updates of EAP be ported to Wildfly also.

Currently we do not use support, but may consider. Right now we are in evaluation phase.

• 4. Re: Wildfly in Production
                ctomc

kiran doshi wrote:

We have been using JBoss 4.2.3 community version for quite some time now successfully & found it stable. However as everything changes we also need to upgrade. Thats when i came to know that the community development is spun off as Wildfly & JBoss EAP is the enterprise series.

Earlier the version numbering was same which is no more the case.

Even at time of JBoss 4.2.x series there ware also EAP 4.2.x and EAP 4.3.x enterprise releases with commercial support, it just wasn't as publicly known as it is this days.

Its good to know that Wildfly is being used in Production.

Will the bug fixes & security updates of EAP be ported to Wildfly also.

The policy is actually other way around, everything is fixed "upstream first" which means that all fixes that come to EAP need to be in upstream (WildFly) first.

As such are available as part of next release of WildFly (unless you want to build it yourself) but with that you also get new features not just bugfixes. WildFly moves faster and gains all new stuff + all bug fixes. Where EAP is much more conservative when it comes to new features and focuses mostly on stability and bugfixes.

• 5. Re: Wildfly in Production
                  kirantech

Thanks Tomaz

That was helpful information