11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 11:14 AM by pmm

WildFly 8.2 classloading?

wesssel

Hey guys,

When deploying my .war to WF 8.2 I get the following exception:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'messageSource' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/classes/odm-i18n.xml]: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through bean property 'bundleClassLoader': : Error loading class [org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.SessionFixationProtectionStrategy] for bean with name 'sas' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/classes/odm-security.xml]: problem with class file or dependent class; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.SessionFixationProtectionStrategy cannot access its superclass org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.CannotLoadBeanClassException: Error loading class [org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.SessionFixationProtectionStrategy] for bean with name 'sas' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/classes/odm-security.xml]: problem with class file or dependent class; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.SessionFixationProtectionStrategy cannot access its superclass org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy

The war worked fine in EAP 6.3 / Tomcat6/7/8, and the code base is unchanged.

Any clues? I'm thinking it has to do with a different method of classloading.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
          wesssel

I've checked the spring-security-web.jar and it actually has the classes in the same package. What could be going wrong here?

• 2. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
            pmm

org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.SessionFixationProtectionStrategy cannot access its superclass org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy

this is really strange, they should even be in the same JAR

• 3. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
              jaikiran

It's possible that one of those classes was loaded by a different classloader than the one trying to load the other one. Enabling TRACE logging of org.jboss.modules package might give some hints.

• 4. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                wesssel

I will try this, however after reading Class Loading in WildFly - WildFly 8 - Project Documentation Editor I suspect this not to be the case. "The war is considered to be a single module, so classes defined in WEB-INF/lib are treated the same as classes in WEB-INF/classes. All classes packaged in the war will be loaded with the same class loader."

• 5. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                  wesssel

It seems that the same class loader is loading them:

2015-05-21 16:16:10,731 TRACE [org.jboss.modules] (MSC service thread 1-3) Loading class org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy locally from Module "deployment.odm.war:main" from Service Module Loader

2015-05-21 16:16:10,741 TRACE [org.jboss.modules] (MSC service thread 1-3) Defined class org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy in Module "deployment.odm.war:main" from Service Module Loader

2015-05-21 16:16:15,537 TRACE [org.jboss.modules] (MSC service thread 1-3) Attempting to find resource org/springframework/security/web/authentication/session/SessionFixationProtectionStrategy.class in Module "deployment.odm.war:main" from Service Module Loader

• 6. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                    wesssel

Anyone have any suggestions on things to try to get this working / figure out the cause of the problem?

• 7. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                      pmm

Yes, basically you have to debug the classloading (this is going to suck). Write a servlet that contains the following code:

ClassLoader loader1 = Class.forName("org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.SessionFixationProtectionStrategy", false, this.getClass().getClassLoader()).getClassLoader();
                      ClassLoader loader2 = Class.forName("org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy", false, this.getClass().getClassLoader()).getClassLoader();

Inspect the two class loaders. They should be the same and point to the same jar in WEB-INF/lib. It may be that this code actually triggers the same exception. In this case you have to use the debugger to figure out the defining classloader of SessionFixationProtectionStrategy and AbstractSessionFixationProtectionStrategy.

• 8. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                        wesssel

When debugging I see the same class loader loading both classes.

• 9. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                          pmm

Can you inspect it? Do you see to which JAR it "points"?

• 10. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                            wesssel

Bit of a learning curve here, I'll try to inspect the objects further.

• 11. Re: WildFly 8.2 classloading?
                              pmm

The easiest way to inspect the objects is in a debugger (Eclipse, IntelliJ, Netbeans). Also can you check if the following code in the servlet

System.out.println(SessionFixationProtectionStrategy.class);

Reproduces the exception?