1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 6:13 AM by wdfink

Doubts about clustering, JBoss EAP and JBoss Data Grid.

fjarenales

Hi folks,

I need to build one application with high availability and I was considering using JBoss EAP. Besides, the application requires shorter response times so I want to use JBoss Data Grid.

On the other hand, I want to use Red Hat (as OS) and I've been reading something about Red Hat + Pacemaker + Corosync. And my doubt right now is if I need to install Red Hat in Cluster (with Pacemaker and Corosync) to have high availability in my servers applications or if I can simply use Red Hat and configure JBoss (in two hosts, for instance) to have HA. Could you guide me in this issue?

Besides, I have doubts about the way of working with JBoss Data Grid. I'm not sure about using in Library Moder or Client-Server Mode. The next are the requirements for my application:

• HA in two nodes.
      • The shortest responses times accesing to data in Data Grid.

Which use? Library Mode or Client-Server Mode? Distributed mode or Replicated mode?

Suggestions are very welcome.

Best Regards,

Javier Arenales

Message was edited by: Javier Arenales

• 1. Re: Doubts about clustering, JBoss EAP and JBoss Data Grid.
          wdfink

Hi Javier,

sounds like a mix of OS, EAP and JDG questions. Maybe you need to spit and use the appropriate forum for each.

I don't have knowledge regarding the OS questions with Red Hat + Pacemaker + Corosync

To have several JBoss EAP instances on different hosts the domain mode should help to keep the configuration and deployment management simple, you should have a look to the documentation how to use it.

Regarding JDG, C/S or library mode depend on your requirement.

If you use C/S you will have separate server instances for JDG. That mean the cached data not stored in your EAP JVM and you can restart EAP instances without any effect to the data grid.

You have a remote access from your EAP-application to JDG

If you use library mode the cache is inside your EAP instance and consumes memory here.

If you restart an application there might be rebalancing and resync actions for the JDG cluster as well.

But you have the cache direct in your application and also it will support transaction for JDG (only in library mode)

REPL vs. DIST caches

If you have REPL caches all entities are available local, but this might consume a lot memory, you need to have the same amount of memory for each instance

DIST caches will use a primary owner and a configurable number of backups for each entity, so you can have a cache which span several instances and can be larger than the memory on one instance.

A consistent hash algorithm know which instance must be asked for a key, so there is not a lot of traffic to find a key, also there are several configurations to optimize this.

If you have special questions for JDG I recommend to add a thread here Red Hat JBoss Data Grid