2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 7:15 PM by peteroyle

Arquillian Slower on EAP 6 compared to AS 7

peteroyle

Hi,

I'm working on a large project which started development on AS 7 and has switched to EAP 6. When we made the switch I noticed our Arquillian based test suite taking significantly longer to complete. I put a simple test project together to show that the time taken to run the tests increases proportionally to the number of tests executed, even if the tests are part of the same deployment. In other words, the time delay seems to be between individual tests, rather than between deployments. The code is available at https://github.com/peteroyle/arquillian-speed-test. Note that the version of the Arquillian container is necessarily different when testing the different containers. As such I'm not sure whether the delay is originating from the app server or Arquillian.

To summarise the results here, the difference in time taken between running a single test, and running 20 tests is:

JBoss AS 7.2.0 with jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed 7.1.1.Final: 20%

JBoss EAP 6.3 with jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed 7.2.0.Final: 65%

Does anyone know if this is a known issue and if there's a known explanation or workaround?

Thanks,

Pete Royle

• 1. Re: Arquillian Slower on EAP 6 compared to AS 7
          aslak

Interesting.. I can verify those numbers. Not quite sure why..

But if you run with the Servlet 3.0 Protocol instead of the default JMX based one,  EAP 6.3 is actually slightly faster.

From the Arquillian point of view the recommended User protocol is the Servlet Protocol.

<dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.arquillian.protocol</groupId>

<artifactId>arquillian-protocol-servlet</artifactId>

</dependency>

<arquillian>

<defaultProtocol type="Servlet 3.0" />

</arquillian>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Arquillian Slower on EAP 6 compared to AS 7
            peteroyle

Thanks Aslak, using Servlet 3.0 did speed up my tests significantly! I've got a couple which fail when using that protocol so they're still running with the JMX protocol but that's a separate issue that I'm sure I'll figure out. Cheers.