8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2015 3:54 AM by tom9729

Data Virtualization Web App

tom9729

I stumbled upon this recently. It's a very cool demo; I was able to create a VDB and query it all from the app. Is there any further work was being done in this area?

Some ideas:

• Integrate the monitoring/management capabilities from the Teiid Web Console.
      • Pull in a fancy editor for SQL like Ace or CodeMirror.

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
          rareddy

Yes, there is further work planned in this area. Did you try this on OpenShift?

CodeMirror looks like a very nice editor. One original thought was to write such application inside the web-console to match with your suggestions. That is still a possibility.

Let us know if you want to contribute

Ramesh..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
            mdrillin

Hi Tom,

That was one of the earlier efforts around a web interface that we were working on.  You might take a look at this article which shows the latest - Intro to the Data Virtualization Web Interface on OpenShift

We'd appreciate any feedback you might have. 

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
              tom9729

Hey guys,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. I appreciate the responses. I did see the screenshots for OpenShift, but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

I'm interested in working on something in this area, it's just a matter of finding the time. Would the preferred path be to integrate this functionality into the existing Teiid web console? I'm interested in basically all of the features from the datavirt app.

I've read a little bit about Komodo. Any thoughts on providing a web interface for this?

Thanks,

Tom

• 4. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
                rareddy

Tom,

Right questions!!! unfortunately in early stages to answer any concretely.

The idea is to use Komodo and build web-interface on top like Mark has given link to. Providing management like web-console is good. 

Do you have any experience with http://www.uberfireframework.org/ or https://angularjs.org/

Ramesh..

• 5. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
                  tom9729

The names are familiar but I haven't worked with them. It's seems like there are a lot of interesting technologies being built on GWT; I've been spending some time looking at https://vaadin.com/.

In the short term I think I'm going to work on enhancing the existing web console. I'd like to add a SQL console and look at fixing the JCA config screen. We have a lot of adhoc dynamic VDB usage, so being able to get rid of Squirrel and do everything from the web console would be a win.

Thanks,

Tom

• 6. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
                    mdrillin

Tom,

Vaadin is similar idea to UberFire - its a framework built on GWT.  UberFire is a JBoss project, it incorporates a lot of eclipse-like concepts - perspectives, etc.

We are working to release the Web interface that I pointed you to - Intro to the Data Virtualization Web Interface on OpenShift  - will be available in some fashion as a tech preview and in our OpenShift cartridge.  Main goal was to produce an interface for new users to be able to create Data Services and quickly expose the endpoints - without needing to learn teiid vdb concepts or use the eclipse tooling.  Feedback is always welcome - and will help us guide our future efforts.

Thanks

Mark

• 7. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
                      rareddy

Tom,

Web Console extension also sounds good, I am open for the idea. Web-Console is based on GWT and some other JBoss frameworks. It should fairly easy to some basic Squirrel type functionality. But to build dynamic VDBs, we would have to borrow concepts from what Mark has been working on.

Ramesh..

• 8. Re: Data Virtualization Web App
                        tom9729

Ramesh,

I wrote TEIIDWEBCN-12 to add a SQL tab to the VDB screen in the web console. I should get to this eventually...

Thanks,

Tom