5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 11:39 AM by nicolacorsaro

Scoped EJB Client Contexts Question: lookup "ejb:" or "java:"

nicolacorsaro

I can't understand why this doesn't work for me:

Context ejbRootNamingContext = (Context) new InitialContext(props).lookup("ejb:");

But this works:

Context ejbRootNamingContext = (Context) new InitialContext(props).lookup("java:");

My code is something like this (the example in the JBoss documentation)

final Properties props = new Properties();

// mark it for scoped EJB client context

props.put("org.jboss.ejb.client.scoped.context","true");

// add other properties

props.put(....);

Context jndiCtx = new InitialContext(props);

Context ejbRootNamingContext = (Context) jndiCtx.lookup("ejb:");

try {

final MyBean bean = ejbRootNamingContext.lookup("app/module/distinct/bean!interface"); // the rest of the EJB jndi string

bean.doSomething();

} finally {

try {

// close the EJB naming JNDI context

ejbRootNamingContext.close();

} catch (Throwable t) {

// log and ignore

}

try {

// also close our other JNDI context since we are done with it too

jndiCtx.close();

} catch (Throwable t) {

// log and ignore

}

}

Please, explain me what's the difference between "ejb:" and "java:"

• 1. Re: Scoped EJB Client Contexts Question: lookup "ejb:" or "java:"
          wdfink

Hello Nicola,

what kind of client do you use? Also what properties do you pass to the InitialContext?

The difference between "java:" and "ejb:" is that java is a typical JNDI lookup but inside of the JVM, often such lookups will only provide internal references.

The "ejb:" is special to JBoss/WildFly for EJB lookups and handled different.

• 2. Re: Scoped EJB Client Contexts Question: lookup "ejb:" or "java:"
            nicolacorsaro

Thank you very much for you answer.

The properties are:

Properties jndiProps = new Properties();

jndiProps.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jboss.naming.remote.client.InitialContextFactory");

jndiProps.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL,"http-remoting://172.16.1.25:8080");

jndiProps.put(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, "test");

jbndiProps.put(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, "test");

jndiProperties.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.ejb.client.naming");

My program is a Java Swing client. It works very well with JBoss 6 Final.

Now I've changed to Wildfly 8 and I had to change the lookup.

I've made changes following the documentation and the program now works

but is slower than the JBoss 6 version.

Because of this problem with "ejb:" I have the suspect that I've made something wrong.

Please help me. The program is too slow now.

• 3. Re: Scoped EJB Client Contexts Question: lookup "ejb:" or "java:"
              nicolacorsaro

I have also this line in my properties

jndiProps.put("jboss.naming.client.ejb.context", true);

On server side, JNDI names in server.log look like:

java:global/ejbxpallet/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.local.DatiUtenteLocal

java:app/ejbxpallet/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.local.DatiUtenteLocal

java:module/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.local.DatiUtenteLocal

java:global/ejbxpallet/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.remote.DatiUtenteRemote

java:app/ejbxpallet/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.remote.DatiUtenteRemote

java:module/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.remote.DatiUtenteRemote

java:jboss/exported/ejbxpallet/DatiUtenteBean!it.xteam.application.xpallet.ejb.remote.DatiUtenteRemote

So,(with Wildfly 8 Final) if I use

Context ejbRootNamingContext = (Context) new InitialContext(props).lookup("java:");

it always works

If I use:

Context ejbRootNamingContext = (Context) new InitialContext(props).lookup("ejb:");

and jndiProps.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.ejb.client.naming");

the error is:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: EJBCLIENT000025: No EJB receiver available for handling

If I use:

without jndiProps.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.ejb.client.naming");

the error is:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: ejb: -- service jboss.naming.context.java.jboss.exported.ejb:

• 4. Re: Scoped EJB Client Contexts Question: lookup "ejb:" or "java:"
                wdfink

As you use the remote-naming approach the "ejb:" prefix is not allowed for lookup.

Please see teh current document for this Remote EJB invocations via JNDI - EJB client API or remote-naming project

• 5. Re: Scoped EJB Client Contexts Question: lookup "ejb:" or "java:"
                  nicolacorsaro

Ok, thank you very much Wolf. Now I understand the confusion I've made.