8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 5:09 AM by maxandersen

Setting up datasource in JBoss

sjparikh

Hello,

I am new to JBoss. I downloaded JBoss Developer Studio

JBoss Enterprise Application Platform - Version 6.2.0.GA

I am trying to setup MySQL as datasource and it is not able to recognize my XML.

I copied mysql-connector-java-5.1.30-bin.jar in jboss-eap\standalone\lib directory. Then I placed mysql-ds.xml in jboss-eap\standalone\deployments directory. Following is the content of mysql-ds.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<datasources>

<datasource>

<jndi-name>java:/DefaultDS</jndi-name>

<connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test</connection-url>

<driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>

<user-name>root</user-name>

<password>test1102</password>

<valid-connection-checker-class-name>org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.MySQLValidConnectionChecker</valid-connection-checker-class-name>

<metadata>

<type-mapping>mySQL</type-mapping>

</metadata>

</datasource>

</datasources>

When I restart JBoss server from my JBDevStudio. I see following message in the console:

09:44:25,580 INFO  [org.jboss.as.controller] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS014774: Service status report

JBAS014777:   Services which failed to start:      service jboss.deployment.unit."mysql-ds.xml".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."mysql-ds.xml".PARSE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase PARSE of deployment "mysql-ds.xml"

I will appreciate if someone can shed some light on what am I doing wrong here.

Thanks,

Swetal

• 1. Re: [jbdevstudio-users] Setting up datasource in JBoss
          burrsutter

Can you try our datasource wizard?

http://screencast.com/t/LneBx3ZA

It should generate a valid -ds.xml for you, if not, we really do want to know

On Apr 22, 2014, at 11:07 AM, Swetal Parikh <jbdevstudio-users@lists.jboss.org> wrote:

Hello,

I am new to JBoss. I downloaded JBoss Developer Studio

JBoss Enterprise Application Platform - Version 6.2.0.GA

I am trying to setup MySQL as datasource and it is not able to recognize my XML.

I copied mysql-connector-java-5.1.30-bin.jar in jboss-eap\standalone\lib directory. Then I placed mysql-ds.xml in jboss-eap\standalone\deployments directory. Following is the content of mysql-ds.xml:

<datasources>

<datasource>

<jndi-name>java:/DefaultDS</jndi-name>

<connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test</connection-url>

<driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>

<valid-connection-checker-class-name>org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.MySQLValidConnectionChecker</valid-connection-checker-class-name>

<metadata>

<type-mapping>mySQL</type-mapping>

</metadata>

</datasource>

</datasources>

When I restart JBoss server from my JBDevStudio. I see following message in the console:

09:44:25,580 INFO  (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS014774: Service status report

JBAS014777:   Services which failed to start:      service jboss.deployment.unit."mysql-ds.xml".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."mysql-ds.xml".PARSE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase PARSE of deployment "mysql-ds.xml"

I will appreciate if someone can shed some light on what am I doing wrong here.

Thanks,

Swetal

Posted by forums

Original post: https://community.jboss.org/message/869775#869775

jbdevstudio-users mailing list

jbdevstudio-users@lists.jboss.org

https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jbdevstudio-users

• 2. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
            wdfink

Datasources are handled different in EAP6.

The recommended way is to use a module for the driver and use the subsystem datasources to install the DS as managed, see Data Source Configuration in AS 7

You might use *-ds.xml files for development, a description how to do it is here

• 3. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
              maxandersen

where do you see recommended way is to use modules ?  if your driver is jdbc 4 compliant no need for added complexity of modules.

• 4. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
                maxandersen

Try what Burr suggest - what the wizard does differently is it will put the mysql. jar in the deployments directory where it should be picked up.

• 5. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
                  wdfink

Sorry, you're right -  the recommended way is to use a managed datasource (*-ds.xml files for development)

for simple DS the driver can be deployed or installed as a module but sometimes you need to use it as module if the scenario is more complex.

• 6. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
                    sjparikh

Hi Burr,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to create data source using the tool you mentioned. It created following XML (New_MySQL-ds.xml) :

<datasources xmlns="http://www.jboss.org/ironjacamar/schema">

<datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/New_MySQL" enabled="true"

use-java-context="true" pool-name="New_MySQL">

<connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/addressbook</connection-url>

<driver>mysql-connector-java-5.1.30-bin.jar</driver>

<pool></pool>

<security>

</security>

</datasource>

</datasources>

But I am still getting following error when I bring up the application server:

13:06:01,920 INFO  [org.jboss.as.controller] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS014774: Service status report

JBAS014777:   Services which failed to start:      service jboss.deployment.unit."TestFrontEnd.war".POST_MODULE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."TestFrontEnd.war".POST_MODULE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase POST_MODULE of deployment "TestFrontEnd.war"

service jboss.deployment.unit."mysql-ds.xml".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."mysql-ds.xml".PARSE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase PARSE of deployment "mysql-ds.xml"

• 7. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
                      sjparikh

I found following article on how to set it up:

http://bnlconsulting.com/index.php/blog/item/88-jboss-71-adding-mysql-datasource

After I followed the document, I do see Datasource being added on management console. But when I try to test the connection, I get following error:

Unexpected HTTP response: 500

Request

{

"address" => [

("subsystem" => "datasources"),

("data-source" => "EmployeeServiceDS")

],

"operation" => "flush-all-connection-in-pool"

}

Response

Internal Server Error

{

"outcome" => "failed",

"failure-description" => "JBAS010440: failed to invoke operation: JBAS010442: failed to match pool. Check JndiName: java:jboss/datasources/EmplouyeeServiceDS",

"rolled-back" => true

}

• 8. Re: Setting up datasource in JBoss
                        maxandersen

The datasource you show has this name: java:jboss/datasources/New_MySQL 

your error indicates you used: java:jboss/datasources/EmplouyeeServiceDS when trying to refer to it.

Those names should match for it to be found.