3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 3:15 PM by jolee

$@ help.

jolee

Using rule [1] and verifying [2]... I'm thinking I'm ok.  But whenever I submit [3].  Am I just doing something wrong (using 2.1.3)?

Thanks,

JLee

[1]

RULE 3

CLASS com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule

METHOD xaRecovery

AT INVOKE com.arjuna.ats.jta.utils.XAHelper.printXAErrorCode(javax.transaction.xa.XAException)

BIND err:javax.transaction.xa.XAException = $@[1]

IF TRUE

DO traceStack("CAUGHT EXCEPTION\n");

ENDRULE

[2]

[jolee@jolee bin]$ ./bytemancheck.sh -cp /home/jolee/jboss/jboss-eap-5.1.2/jboss-as/client/jbossjts.jar/home/jolee/ByteManGames/XAER_RMERR.btm Checking rule 3 against class com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule

Parsed rule "3" for class com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule

Type checked rule "3"

TestScript: no errors

[3]

[jolee@jolee bin]$ ./bmsubmit.sh /home/jolee/ByteManGames/XAER_RMERR.btm redefine rule 3

VerifyError during retransformation : some rules may not have been correctly injected or uninjected!

java.lang.VerifyError

at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.retransformClasses0(Native Method)

at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.retransformClasses(InstrumentationImpl.java:124)

at org.jboss.byteman.agent.Retransformer.installScript(Retransformer.java:136)

at org.jboss.byteman.agent.TransformListener.handleScripts(TransformListener.java:337)

at org.jboss.byteman.agent.TransformListener.loadScripts(TransformListener.java:260)

at org.jboss.byteman.agent.TransformListener.handleConnection(TransformListener.java:213)

at org.jboss.byteman.agent.TransformListener.run(TransformListener.java:146)

• 1. Re: $@ help.
          adinn

Hi Jonathon,

The rule looks fine to me and ought to just work (TM) so this looks very much like a problem with Byteman.

Can you try with the 2.1.4 release. I just fixed a problem which was causing verify errors and, although I suspect it is not the cause here, I would like to rule out any possibility of that being the error.

If that does not remove the error then I will see if I can reproduce the same result. Do you know if your app server isdoing anything special at transaction recovery time? e.g. loading dead transactions?

• 2. Re: $@ help.
            adinn

Hi Johnathon,

It would be a great help if you could provide me with a copy of the bytecode which is causing the verify error. Can you set the following system properties when you install the agent into JBoss eap

-Dorg.jboss.byteman.dump.generated.classes

-Dorg.jboss.byteman.dump.generated.classes.directory=$HOME/tmp/dump

-Dorg.jboss.byteman.verbose

n.b. you will need to create directory $HOME/tmp/dump

If you are installing Byteman from the java command line using -javaagent then just add the above two defines to JAVA_OPTS. If you are using bminstall.sh then you can jsut add them to the command line in font of the process if argument.

When your rule gets processed a copy fo the transformed bytecode should be written to file $HOME/tmp/dump/com/.../XARecoveryModule.class. If you execute

$ javap -c -classpath $HOME/tmp/dump com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule > foo.txt

this will decompile the bytecode for the transformed class. If you can post the output in foo.txt which relates to method xaRecovery (or just send me a copy of the whole file) I will see if I can work out how it has been transformed incorrectly.

• 3. Re: $@ help.
              jolee

Andrew,

Thanks!  I need to return to this,  but don't have the cycles right now...  so I appreciate the comments and I'll use them when I tackle it again.

JLee