14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 10:23 AM by ralf.penners

Monitoring EJB pool

ralf.penners

Hi,

is it possible to monitor the EJB pool in JBoss AS 7.1.1 Final? Especially the amount of active beans from the pool would be interesting.

I already tried to do a Google search, but I haven't found any answer for this yet.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
          indranil32

If by amount you meant count then for MDB you can do that by :http://www.coderanch.com/t/318957/EJB-JEE/java/Read-JMS-Queue-subscriber-count

If you are comfortable with jConsole/VisualVM, then you do not even need any code : Follow : Using VisualVM with JBoss AS 7

• 2. Re: Re: Monitoring EJB pool
            ralf.penners

Yes sorry, I meant "count".

But my question is more related to stateless session beans.

The maxium pool size of SLSB can be configured in the standalone.xml like:

<strict-max-pool name="slsb-strict-max-pool" max-pool-size="20" instance-acquisition-timeout="5" instance-acquisition-timeout-unit="MINUTES"/>

What I am interested in is how many of them are currently used? Is there also a way to get that information through JMX? Or any other possibility?

• 3. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
              indranil32

are u looking for this ? (see attachment)

• 4. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                ralf.penners

Yes, something like this.

But I am not really sure, if that value counts the active SLSB.

Firstly, the counter is not increasing, while an application with SLSB is being executed. Secondly, the value "maxThreads" is set to 10 (please see my attachment), but the SLSB max-pool-size is set to 20.

When I looked through the JMX tree for the first time, I thought the entry "slsb-strict-max-pool" would have a counter for the active SLSB, but there you can just configure the same values like in the standalone.xml.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or any option needs to be activated, so that these statistics are collected.

jmx_slsb.png

• 5. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                  indranil32

I don't think maxThreads and maxPoolSize needs to be of the same value.

To effectively see the counts, you really need to fire a high number of (may be concurrent) requests to your SLSB.

Can you paste your standalone.xml and the basic SLSB config that you are using?

• 6. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                    ralf.penners

I use the standalone.xml "out of the box", just like a fresh downloaded JBoss AS 7.1.1 Final instance.

Then you could put a simple application on the server. For example a servlet, which gets a SLSB providing some simple logic (maybe a Thread.sleep(100), mathematical calculation or something like this) injected.

So if you stress test this application afterwards with a tool like lets say Apache JMeter and build a testplan, which starts about 10-15 threads, then I think the counter should already start increasing.

• 7. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                      indranil32

any luck seeing the count??

• 8. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                        ralf.penners

No, unfortunately not.

As stated here http://www.mastertheboss.com/jboss-performance/jboss-as-7-performance-tuning/page-3, there really seems to be currently no implementation like a counter or something else. So I'll hope, this will be added soon, because it would be very comfortable!

So for the moment I just need to leave the question unanswered. Nevertheless thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

• 9. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                          markus78

You can enable statistics for ejb with the CLI, something like this

/subsystem=ejb3:write-attribute(name=enable-statistics,value=true)

Not sure if that helps you, but perhaps you can try it out!

/Markus

• 10. Re: Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                            ralf.penners

Thank you for the hint, but if I enter that command via CLI I get the following output:

[standalone@localhost:9999 /] /subsystem=ejb3:write-attribute(name=enable-statistics,value=true)
                            {
                                "outcome" => "failed",
                                "failure-description" => "JBAS014792: Unknown attribute enable-statistics",
                                "rolled-back" => true
                            }

• 11. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                              markus78

Im using EAP 6 , so perhaps it does not work for the community version, I will check it out.

• 12. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                                ralf.penners

Finally I found an entry in the JMX tree of JBoss AS 7.1.1 Final, which will show at least the statistics for a specific bean (please see attached screenshot).

So you need to choose the deployed application and under that entry are some statistics about the components used in that application (like servlets, ejbs, etc.).

Just wanted to let you know!

EJB_JMX_Example.png

• 13. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                                  rameshchokkapu

Hi Ralf,

Good Morning..

Can u explain above it clearly ?

"Finally I found an entry in the JMX tree of JBoss AS 7.1.1 Final, which will show at least the statistics for a specific bean (please see attached screenshot).

So you need to choose the deployed application and under that entry are some statistics about the components used in that application (like servlets, ejbs, etc.)."

How did u get the attached screen?

• 14. Re: Monitoring EJB pool
                                    ralf.penners

Hi Ramesh,

sorry, I just noticed your reply today after logging in again for a while.

If you simply connect via JMX to the JBoss AS 7.1.1 Final (or any other version above) you will find these entries, which I showed on the screenshot.

I hope this will help you, otherwise don't hesitate to ask further questions.