4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 10:10 AM by ronsi

Seam 2.3 - Does it work with JSF 1.2?

ronsi

I'm upgrading my Seam 2.2 application to Seam 2.3.1.Final and would like to know if it's compatible with JSF 1.2. I noticed Seam 2.3.1.Final's "ui" artifact transitively downloads jboss-jsf-api_2.1_spec:jar which is a JSF 2 jar. Has anyone managed to run Seam 2.3.1.Final with JSF 1.2. Please let me know. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Seam 2.3 - Does it work with JSF 1.2?
          nathandennis

I'm not sure i understand what you are gaining by upgrading if you ARE NOT going to be using JSF 2. Besides converting it to a maven project, JSF 2 seems like the major gain by upgrading. If its a particular bug you are trying to get around and because very little development is continuing on the Seam Project in general, why not make a custom build to get around any problem and keep the JSF 1.2 in 2.2.x?

• 2. Re: Seam 2.3 - Does it work with JSF 1.2?
            ronsi

Nathan, Thanks for replying. I'm upgrading my current Seam 2.2.1.CR2 app to Seam 2.3.1.Final. And during the upgrade process I noticed Seam 2.3.1 uses JSF2. I would happily use JSF 1.2 if it works with Seam 2.3.1. Which brings me to my original question: does Seam 2.3.1.Final works with JSF 1.2?

EDIT:

Answering my own question here: I managed to run JSF 2.0 with my Seam 2.3.1.Final application. It was a dependency issue which was solved with below dependencies. But now I have a facelets issue which I'm working on.

<dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.spec.javax.faces</groupId>

<artifactId>jboss-jsf-api_2.1_spec</artifactId>

<scope>provided</scope>

<version>2.1.19.1.Final</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.sun.faces</groupId>

<artifactId>jsf-impl</artifactId>

<version>${version.jsf2}</version>

</dependency>

• 3. Re: Seam 2.3 - Does it work with JSF 1.2?
              tremes

Hi Ron.

No it doesn't. One of main reason of releasing 2.3.1 was to support JSF2.

• 4. Re: Seam 2.3 - Does it work with JSF 1.2?
                ronsi

Tomas. Thanks for the reply and answering the question. I have already migrated my application to run with JSF2 and it deploys fine. But I get a runtime exception related to facelets for which I have opened a new discussion at the below link. Thanks again for answering the question.

Facelets: SAXException Error Handling s.taglib.xml