4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 2:30 AM by jhuska

Graphene: proposal of API change of FindBy to achieve extensibility

lfryc

We currently use @FindBy annotation as a replacement for WebDriver's own @FindBy annotation.

Those annotation allows to specify what location strategy to use, supporting variety of strategies from element identifiers, CSS selectors, XPath to some other bizzare ways.

The purpose of own @FindBy annotation was to extend this set of location strategies by support for jQuery.

----

The FindBy allows to specify element location in following ways:

@FindBy(id = 'xyz')

@FindBy(css = '.class')

@FindBy(jquery = '.class:visible')

or

@FindBy(how = CSS, using = '.class')

----

However neither from those styles allows for extensibility.

We can't introduce new properties to @FindBy(my_strategy=...) nor we can extend How with MY_STRATEGY because it's enum.

----

The number of use cases where extending the location strategy would be useful are plethora, but most prominent is particular need of some web frameworks:

E.g.

Location by JSF IDs

the server_id is a short version of long clientId, which can differ by the environment in which the component is used

Location by AngularJS Model names

AngularJS comes with its own expression language where expressions can be used in HTML markup.

We could use model names to find elements on the page which is a similar what End-to-End tests for AngularJS use.

Question is simple: how to allow for extensibility of FindBy?

• 1. Re: Graphene: proposal of API change from FindBy to FindByJQuery to achieve extensibility
          lfryc

I have two proposals:

1. re-define @FindBy(how = How) where how should be Class<? extends How> instead of enum.

@FindBy(how = JQuery.class, using=".class:visible") for jQuery

@FindBy(how = JSF.class, using="component-id") for JSF

locating <h:commandButton id="component-id" />

@FindBy(how = NG.class, using="modelProperty") for AngularJS

locating <input ng-model="modelProperty" />

Additionally, one could change the default location strategy for whole project, so that one could use just:

@FindBy("component-id")

when arquillian.xml will specify <property name="defaultLocationStrategy">org.jboss.arquillian.graphene.by.ByJSF</property>

Sample:

@FindBy(how = JSF.class, using = "due")

private Calendar dueDate;

@FindBy(how = JSF.class, using = "edit")

private Button editButton;

@FindBy(how = JSF.class, using = "delete")

private Button deleteButton;

----

2. allow to extend a syntax with own annotations:

@FindByJQuery(".class:visible")

@FindByJSF("component-id")

@FindByNg("modelProperty")

where

@ElementLocationStrategy(resolver = ByJSF.class)

public @interfaces FindByJSF {

String value();

}

@FindByJSF("due")

private Calendar dueDate;

@FindByJSF("edit")

private Button edit;

@FindByJSF("delete")

private Button delete;

• 2. Re: Graphene: proposal of API change of FindBy to achieve extensibility
            lfryc

Another aspect of this API which is in question is re-definition of WebDriver's @FindBy.

I don't really like there is a duplicity on classpath, since it makes a life with IDEs harder:

you get two FindBy implementations in type search, so you need to mind the package name.

• 3. Re: Graphene: proposal of API change of FindBy to achieve extensibility
              kpiwko

Lukas,

I really hate having own @FindBy annotation. Therefore, I'd definitely prefer having a bunch of @FindByXYZ annotations with some "SPI" that allows user to register their own annotation - e.g. all @FindByXYZ annotations are marked with a meta annotation.

Something like: https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/annotations/PATCH.java

Karel

• 4. Re: Graphene: proposal of API change of FindBy to achieve extensibility
                jhuska

I am voting for the second option as well. It gives us less verbose syntax, without need (but with possibility) to setup something on the global level.