1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2018 2:37 PM by swargam1

AS 7 on Java 8

paulf70

Is there anyone currently running AS 7.1 under a JDK 1.8 previous?  On Mac or Linux?

Googling turned up nothing.  I intend to try to get it working shortly unless it's already known to be impossible.

Need basic CDI, SSB, JPA (Hibernate) and security functionality.

(Why 1.8?  Well, we won't be in prod for a couple years and it would be great to be able to start using the FP features of 1.8 now instead of having 2-300K lines of code to convert later.)

• 1. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
          nickarls

If you have to migrate 2-300k-lines of code when switching java versions, you are doing something wrong

• 2. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
            wdfink

Applications compiled with Java7 should work with Java8.

AS7 run with java8, I havn't seen problems.

But why you mean to have lot's of changes? and what is the "FP feature"

• 3. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
              nickarls

FP = Functional Programming = Lambda, guessing.

• 4. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                paulf70

You mean like using Java 8 features extensively?

As you noted in your 2nd post - yeah, we plan to make *extensive* use of lambdas and the other FP features of the language.

Of course, you can "do" these things in <8, clumsily and verbosely.  It's *that* code I don't want to have to rewrite in Java 8 style.  (Although, if one was careful with conventions, and even if not, you could write a tool or script to do it.)

I'm glad nobody said "you can't do it"; I plan to deploy an app to AS7 running on JDK 8 today.

• 5. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                  wdfink

It's possible,

but the risk is that you might run into issues and you have to figure out that the issue is the same if you use AS7 with Java7.

That can be difficult if your app-logic is complex.

• 6. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                    paulf70

Well, FYI, the server starts fine, the console works fine, and all of the quickstart samples I've built & deployed so far work fine.  Full speed ahead!  JDK 1.8 should be in production long before we are.

• 7. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                      charlesjg

Hello there,

I am trying to run and ejb 3 / jpa  2 application run in EAP 6.1 with the JDK 8.

The server dont want to start...

>> 11:00:47,235 INFO  [org.jboss.as] (MSC service thread 1-6) JBAS015899: JBoss EAP 6.1.0.GA (AS 7.2.0.Final-redhat-8) starting

and it stops here. Is it normal ?

infos:

------

JBoss Bootstrap Environment

JBOSS_HOME: C:\devtools\jboss-eap-6.1

JAVA: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\java

• 8. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                        ctomc

Yes it is normal.

There have been some changes in JDK8 that prevent AS7 and current version of EAP6 to start under JDK8.

We have many JDK8 related fixes in WildFly so I would recommend you to use that.

As for EAP goes, the start up on JDK8 is fixed in upcoming 6.2 release.

So in short, I would be more then welcome if people would test WildFly on JDK8 as we are working on making whole testsuite pass on it.

--

tomaz

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                          nayabinghi

Hello Tomaz,

JDK8 prevents AS 7.1.1 startup in my environment. Seems to be related to this discussion. Can you confirm?

• 10. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                            ctomc

Mohamed King wrote:

Hello Tomaz,

JDK8 prevents AS 7.1.1 startup in my environment. Seems to be related to this discussion. Can you confirm?

Yes I can confirm, AS7.1.1 wont start on JDK8.

• 11. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                              nayabinghi

Tomaz,

Thanks for the confirmation.

• 12. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                                nayabinghi

Tomaz,

This is a different topic but wanted to ask if you had any idea what happened to the functionality for adding virtual hosts from the UI. I opened a post at Adding virtual hosts in WildFly Admin GUI/Console on this. In AS 7 we were able to add virtual hosts from the UI.

• 13. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                                  croco

Is there any (relatively simple) way to make the latest community AS7 work with JDK8 or is there too much to change in the code?

• 14. Re: AS 7 on Java 8
                                    ctomc

Any big reason you cannot upgrade to WildFly 8?

Core issue that prevents boot of AS7 on JDK8 is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2057

which was fixed by https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/commit/fa93ceff49c3e84851cb8b00157e4fbed1d2cdb7

You could apply this commit to https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/releases/tag/7.2.0.Final-testsuite-fix tag and rebuild it.

but, this will only make sure server starts on JDK8, there ware handful of other fixes / changes that we needed to address to make sure testsuite passes properly.

In any case, i would recommend you to go with WildFly 8.2.0.Final.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next