5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 7:28 AM by swiderski.maciej

How can make jbpm 5.3.0 Final works with JBoss 7.1.X ?

The latest  jbpm 5.3.0 version (jbpm-5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip) which bundles jboss 7.0.2 by default . But I want  to ask will it work or how can make it work with the latest jboss 7.1.X? 

So far , I encountered the following error message  when deploying jbpm 5.3.0 to jboss 7.1.1 but these problem does not exist when deploying to jboss 7.0.2 :

18:10:09,783 ERROR [org.reflections.Reflections] (MSC service thread 1-7) could not create Vfs.Dir from url. ignoring the exception and continuing: org.reflections.ReflectionsException

at org.reflections.vfs.Vfs.fromURL(Vfs.java:99) [reflections-0.9.5-RC2_jboss-SP1.jar:]

at org.reflections.vfs.Vfs.fromURL(Vfs.java:89) [reflections-0.9.5-RC2_jboss-SP1.jar:]

It is sad that though many users reports that they have this problem  , there still no workarounds or solutions that I can found out

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3698

https://community.jboss.org/thread/197349?tstart=0

https://community.jboss.org/thread/197080

https://community.jboss.org/thread/197349

https://community.jboss.org/thread/201643?tstart=0

When deploying to jboss 7.0.2 , I simply use the standalone.xml provided by jbpm-5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip .

When deploying to jboss 7.1.1 , I do the following changes based on the default standalone.xml provided by the jboss 7.1.1:

• Configure the datasource for the DB (I am sure the datasource is setup properly)
      • Change the <deployment-scanner> ‘s deployment-timeout  attribute to some larger values to avoid timeout before the web apps are successfully deployed.
      • Add <security-domain> for the web apps  drools-guvnor , jbpm-console ,jbpm-form-builder (I copied the corresponding section from  the standalone.xml  in  jbpm-5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip )
      • Disable the JPA extension because jbpm is developing using JPA1 but jboss 7  is JPA2

Is it simply due to configuration problems of my standalone.xml in jboss 7.1.1 ?

If yes , what is the problem of my standalone.xml in jboss 7.1.1?

If my standalone.xml in jboss 7.1.1 is correct ,please confirm if it is a bug .If yes,I suggest jbpm team to warn user that jBPM 5.3 final release version cannot work with jboss 7.1.X in order to prevent new users from wasting their time and have bad experience when trying jbpm5.3 with the jboss 7.1.X  . Especailly  , they should delete this remark  " if you move to 7.1, don't forget to change the following line (7.0 -> 7.1) "  from build.properties as this remark causes user think that it will work with jboss 7.1.X but actually it does not.

Thanks for any idea or insight .

• 1. Re: How can make jbpm 5.3.0 Final works with JBoss 7.1.X ?
          swiderski.maciej

As you already noticed jBPM 5.3 comes with JBoss AS 7.0.2 and it does that for some reason - AS 7.1.x was not completely tested with it so some issues can arise while running on it. It should provide main capabilities meaning being able to execute processes on it. Some components around the core like reporting could (and apparently do) experience some problems.

jBPM is in general application server agnostic so you could run it on whatever container you like but does not mean that it will be certified for all of them. Many community users run it on Tomcat or other app servers and it is always welcome to contribute back in any way - blogs, wiki articles, etc.

Currently there is some work around supporting AS 7.1.x and best way is to report problems with test case/steps to reproduce in jira like it is done for reporting problem.

Do you have any issues executing processes on AS 7.1.x or only with reporting?

Cheers

P.S.

Please don't post same questions on many threads it makes it difficult to keep track of open questions if they are duplicated.

• 2. Re: How can make jbpm 5.3.0 Final works with JBoss 7.1.X ?

Many community users run it on Tomcat or other app servers and it is always welcome to contribute back in any way - blogs, wiki articles, etc.

Currently there is some work around supporting AS 7.1.x and best way is to report problems with test case/steps to reproduce in jira like it is done for reporting problem.

Do you have any issues executing processes on AS 7.1.x or only with reporting?

Thanks for the reply .So , where can I found these  blogs , wiki , articles for the work around for supporting AS 7.1.X especially the one to tackle the following error messages during the AS 7.1.x startup ?

18:10:09,783 ERROR [org.reflections.Reflections] (MSC service thread 1-7) could not create Vfs.Dir from url. ignoring the exception and continuing: org.reflections.ReflectionsException

at org.reflections.vfs.Vfs.fromURL(Vfs.java:99) [reflections-0.9.5-RC2_jboss-SP1.jar:]

at org.reflections.vfs.Vfs.fromURL(Vfs.java:89) [reflections-0.9.5-RC2_jboss-SP1.jar:]

Actually , I am the new user and want to try jbpm5 , so my first aim is to install all the stuffs provided by jbpm-5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip to the application server and play around it. This is the only error in the server.log when starting jbpm5 with AS 7.1.x

Originally , I also think jBPM is application server agnostic  , plus the remark " if you move to 7.1, don't forget to change the following line (7.0 -> 7.1) " found from the build.properties in the jbpm-5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip that further causes me realize that jbpm5.3 should work well in AS 7.1.x too . So , if there are some issues when running jbpm 5.3 final in AS 7.1.x , I still think it is better to state clearly that jbpm 5.3.0 is well tested on AS 7.0.2 only but it has some issues in AS 7.1.x . It can prevent the new users like me who want to setup jbpm5.3 in latest version of AS (As  it contains many fixes than the previous version ) and believe that the jbpm is application server agnostic from choosing  AS 7.1.x to test jbpm 5.3   , but finally realize that it has issues on AS 7.1.x

• 3. Re: How can make jbpm 5.3.0 Final works with JBoss 7.1.X ?
              swiderski.maciej

you can find some information about jBPM on AS 7.1.1 here: https://community.jboss.org/thread/201249?tstart=150

From another side, community members that attempt to install jBPM on different platforms (servers, db) are encouraged to post back the results and some guidelines on how to achieve it.

Regarding that issue, I'll be looking at it later today so will let you know how that went. For reporting I believe there was workaround mentioned in jira.

P.S.

welcome to the community beginnings can be quite difficult but once you get yourself little bit more familiar with it it will be much better!

• 4. Re: How can make jbpm 5.3.0 Final works with JBoss 7.1.X ?

I am looking forward to your investigation . Thanks so much

• 5. Re: How can make jbpm 5.3.0 Final works with JBoss 7.1.X ?
                  swiderski.maciej

comment added to jira