3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 6:43 AM by lfryc

What is the JBoss Way for Web Development?

ravenor

This is not a loaded question, and neither is it a technology religion question.

I have an exacting set of requirements, and I want to know what is the JBoss Way of meeting the requirements. The requirements are:

1. Rapid web development - speed is an important factor

2. Highly scalable, stateful (with sessions) application

3. End-user customization, Theming and Personalization is a large requirement

4. Web pages dynamically generated from metadata

4.1 Templating Support

5. Complex web client, rich user experience

5.1 Ability to consume 3rd party Javascript component libraries

6. We are a large team with the ability to build our own frameworks, so a complete stack is not a requirement, a solid base that will not lock us in is prefered

7. Complete life-cycle consideration including developer experience, automated testing and deployment is considered

What are the 'JBoss Way' recommendations to meet the above?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts..

• 1. Re: What is the JBoss Way for Web Development?
          lfryc

Hey Gideon,

have you taken a look at

http://www.jboss.org/developer ?

• 2. Re: What is the JBoss Way for Web Development?
            healeyb

Hi, I don't work for Jboss/redhat but have a small amount of feedback based on my own experience, perhaps others

may wish to add their own thoughts:

1. Rapid web development - speed is an important factor

Particularly with JSF I think speed of development is ultimately tied to how experienced your developers are, it's probably

true with everything really, but particularly with JSF. If you're starting up a big project and don't have a lot of experience

within the team it would be worth looking at bringing in a few JSF heavyweights perhaps temporarily to help you work

through some of the pitfalls that everyone encounters when starting with this technology.

There are some consultancy/training companies out there such as http://www.irian.at/en/ (I do not work for them either)

who have some seriously good people, although I don't know specifically what services they provide.

2. Highly scalable, stateful (with sessions) application

JSF has application and session scoped beans built in. Alternatively JSF can be used in conjunction with CDI (contexts

and dependency injection) which also provide these scopes. There are CDI extensions projects such as Seam 3 and

Myfaces CODI which provide additional scopes, and these two projects are merging into the Apache DeltaSpike

project which is something to keep an eye on for the future.

At the business logic layer EJB has stateless and stateful beans.

Scalability is taken care of by clustering at the application and database server level and both Jboss AS and Glassfish

provide clustering out of the box, I think.

3. End-user customization, Theming and Personalization is a large requirement

Richfaces supports skinning and makes it very easy to implement this, take a look at the showcase here:

http://showcase.richfaces.org/richfaces/component-sample.jsf?demo=standardSkinning&skin=blueSky.

Of course Java/JSF provide all the usual internationalisation features.

I don't personally know of any way of doing this in a JSF Richfaces environment but it's certainly something

you could look at doing yourself, as you say you have a large team.

4.1 Templating Support

JSF2 (which can be used in conjunction with Richfaces 4) introduced Facelets view handling technology

replacing JSP. Facelets has powerful templating features which allow flexible code re-use.

5. Complex web client, rich user experience

JSF in conjunction with Richfaces meets this requirement. You also have the option to use jQuery plugins

as required. It's also possible to write your own JSF/Richfaces custom components and Richfaces provide

a component developers kit (CDK) for this purpose.

Richfaces ships with jQuery which has a jQuery.noConlict option which should allow for interoperability

with Dojo, Prototype, Scriptaculous & YUI. There may be some work needed to do this, but jQuery is the

definite leader in the field.

6. We are a large team with the ability to build our own frameworks, so a complete stack is not a requirement, a solid base that will not lock us in is prefered

If you use a Java EE compliant stack such as provided by glassfish you've got everything there, but depending

on the choices you make along the way you can avoid being tied to a specific app server. There are three JSF

implementations, Mojaraa (the reference implementation), Apache Myfaces and Oracle ADF Faces (so Oracle

actually have two implementations following the SUN takeover).

If you're going to be using JPA at the persistence layer as long as you don't start using implementation

specific extensions that aren't in the JPA spec you should be able to move fairly easily from, say, Eclipselink to

Hibernate or vice versa.

I recently migrated a project from Primefaces to Richfaces and with about 100k+ lines of xhtml + backing bean

code I was able to do this in about three weeks.

7. Complete life-cycle consideration including developer experience, automated testing and deployment is considered

Regarding automated testing you should check out JBoss Arquillian http://www.jboss.org/arquillian.html. Deployment

is a breeze but depends on the application server. I use glassfish and can deploy straight to production from the

NetBeans IDE.

Regards,

Brendan.

• 3. Re: What is the JBoss Way for Web Development?
              lfryc

This is exhaustive analysis, Brendan!

Brendan Healey wrote:

Hi, I don't work for Jboss/redhat but have a small amount of feedback based on my own experience, perhaps others

may wish to add there own thoughts:

Gideon, you may want to look at Metawidget here.

4.1 Templating Support

JSF2 (which can be used in conjunction with Richfaces 4) introduced Facelets view handling technology

replacing JSP. Facelets has powerful templating features which allow flexible code re-use.

Multi-Templating is also worth to mention, as it is coming in JSF 2.2 ( http://jdevelopment.nl/jsf-22/ ).

Richfaces ships with jQuery which has a jQuery.noConlict option which should allow for interoperability

with Dojo, Prototype, Scriptaculous & YUI. There may be some work needed to do this, but jQuery is the

definite leader in the field.

As Brendan said, you are able to use any custom / third-party widgets together with RichFaces,

but recommended way is to wrap those components as JSF components, more info here:

http://www.slideshare.net/lfryc/richfaces-cdk-rapid-jsf-component-development

Regarding automated testing you should check out JBoss Arquillian http://www.jboss.org/arquillian.html. Deployment

is a breeze but depends on the application server. I use glassfish and can deploy straight to production from the

NetBeans IDE.

Yeah, Arquillian, Selenium and Jenkins are winners here!

http://www.slideshare.net/lfryc/designing-topclass-test-suites-for-web-applications

Cheers,

~ Lukas

1 of 1 people found this helpful