2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 12:28 PM by rem2500

Jboss 5.1.0 on CentOS 6 dies randomly

Hey everyone,

We have been running Jboss 5.1.0 on CentOS 5.5 for a couple of years with no problems.  We recently upgraded to CentOS 6 and are still running Jboss 5.1.0 and we are seeing Jboss randomly die on several of our app servers without any error messages in the logs. 

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Ben

• 1. Re: Jboss 5.1.0 on CentOS 6 dies randomly
          wdfink

MIght be an issue of the JVM version or the OS.

Do you see hs_err_pid#####.log file in the directories? That points to JVM crashes.

I would check the latest OS and JVM patches. Also you might use the same JVM as before (if there is an upgrade included), it might be that the newer JVM have such problems.

Also think about what you change during the upgrade ... any configuration, application patches or GC settings ...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jboss 5.1.0 on CentOS 6 dies randomly

I think I just figured out the issue here.  We are using virtual servers from the same hosting company.  For CentOS 5, the advertised 8GB of RAM boxes actually have 7.3GB.  For the CentOS 6 boxes, the advertised 8GB RAM boxes actually have 6.9GB.  We had our JVM option set to consume 7GB so I think it was trying to pull in RAM that wasn't there and dying.  I have kicked it back to 6GB and figure that should fix the issue.

Thanks for the reply!

Ben