3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 3:42 PM by mwringe

verifying webapp deployment

mwringe

The test module uses cargo to deploy applications to a server, but it doesn't actually check if the web application has been deployed or not before continuing. This hasn't cause too many problems so far as Tomcat and JBoss seem to deploy things quickly enough. When moving to do tests on other containers, this is not always the case and this can cause tests to fail.

One solution for this would be to use cargo URLDeploymentMonitors to make sure that the web application is pingable before continuing (cargo uses this method to check when a server is started using the cargocpc.war).

This would require that all test web applications to not display a 404 page when its context is access.

Would this be an acceptable change to require all web applications to have a pingable context?

Note: ideally cargo would have some sort of other deployment monitor that could be used more transparently using the server logs, jmx, etc. But this is currently not the case.

• 1. Re: verifying webapp deployment
          theute

One issue is that it is not pretty.

The second issue is that even though one page is accessible it doesn't mean that the others are yet accessible which seems to be a problem in Jetty.

Did you check that there is no configurable way to tell Jetty to not serve any request before everything is deployed and ready to answer as done in Tomcat ?

Maybe help from Jetty developers could help

• 2. Re: verifying webapp deployment
            mwringe

"thomas.heute@jboss.com" wrote:
            One issue is that it is not pretty.

Did you check that there is no configurable way to tell Jetty to not serve any request before everything is deployed and ready to answer as done in Tomcat ?

Maybe help from Jetty developers could help

oh, maybe that is the real problem then. I was doing these tests with an out of the box jetty configuration, maybe I need to tweak it a bit to get more desirable results.

I will look into this further to find out a better solution.

• 3. Re: verifying webapp deployment
              mwringe

OK, the issue is with me and my hacky Jetty remote deployment. It looks like I will need to implement that properly.