Oh no, not another "Getting Started" document...
I'm a part-time NetBeans and RichFaces user, wanting to try Eclipse. The attached file (set_up_rf_for_eclipse.txt) documents in detail all the steps I took to create a new development environment for RF on Eclipse.
Table of contents:
1. INSTALL JAVA
2. INSTALL GLASSFISH v3
3. INSTALL MAVEN
4. CONFIGURE MAVEN FOR THE JBOSS REPOSITORY
5. INSTALL ECLIPSE & JBOSS TOOLS
6. IMPORT THE RICHFACES PROJECT INTO ECLIPSE
7. CONFIGURE THE GLASFISH RUNTIME IN ECLIPSE
8. CONFIGURE THE JSF PROJECT FACET
9. RUN THE WEB APPLICATION
QUESTION: It would be great to know, from the community, what extra or different steps you typically take to set up your RF development environment on Eclipse. What do you do to maximize productivity, minimize annoyances, and so on?
Apologies if that is off-topic or too vague. I'm an Eclipse newbie.
great start-up guide.
I would point out that some of steps are covered in Developer Guide:
(just some of steps are left unexpressed - setting up Java/Maven/Eclipse, which you covered much better)
Just for your question, what extra steps I typically do:
- installing M2E (Maven for Eclipse) + M2E WTP (Web Tools Platform)
- installating JBoss Tools Maven integrations
- covered in docs link above
- installing JBoss AS 7
- it has best support with JBoss Tools (I hasn't succeded so much with Glassfish/Eclipse integration)
- setting up JBoss Tools Server Runtimes support
- running JBoss AS from IDE
It would be great to create an article from your notes (here on RichFaces Users space). It could be specifically targetting Glassfish. The advantage is others could modify and improve your content + it is indexed by search engines. ;-)