3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 11:52 AM by Lukáš Fryč RSS

rich:editor Renderer for Mobiles

Lukáš Fryč Master

I have been thinking about using separated renderer for Editor in case of requests from mobile devices.

This has one unpleasant consequence: we need to detect support in core framework, which means moving detection logic from Showcase to core framework.

If we will go that way, I suggest to create separated module (richfaces-mobile-detection) which will take responsibility for this feature. Advantage will be in having this module pluggable - user will be able to upgrade mobile detection on demand without need to upgrade whole framework.

Can you think about alternative principles?

• 1. Re: rich:editor Renderer for Mobiles
    Brian Leathem Master

Hi Lukas,

Bringing device detection into the platform would be a great benefit for RichFaces developers.  Making this kinds of thing easy is exactly our goal!

As for a seperate module, I suggest baking it into the core for RichFaces 4.1, and we can look at providing it as a separate module in RichFaces 4.2+, when we re-evaluate our packaging strategy.  We should discuss this further at our team meeting - I'll add it to the agenda.

Brian

• 2. Re: rich:editor Renderer for Mobiles
    Lukáš Fryč Master

Brian Leathem wrote:

As for a seperate module, I suggest baking it into the core for RichFaces 4.1, and we can look at providing it as a separate module in RichFaces 4.2+, ...

Only my concern is that user should have possibility to override our logic - we can also achieve this by allowing to override detection logic (for example with services feature).

• 3. Re: rich:editor Renderer for Mobiles
    Lukáš Fryč Master

At the team meeting, we have considerer consequences and in the M4, we won't take a risk to introduce mobile detection logic into core.

That's why we are postponing that into 4.2, and we will document how to use rich:editor on mobiles for 4.1:

• use conditionally renderer rich:editor and h:inputTextarea