1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 9:58 AM by jaikiran

JBoss 6.1 or JBoss 5.1 for Production?

paul.robinson

Hello,

We need to know which version of JBoss AS, to use for a production system. My first instincts would be to go for JBoss AS 6.1 as it will be the latest final release and I would assume will receive the best level of support via the forums. However, from looking at the Maven repository, we can see that the 6.0.0 release contains 25 Alpha or Beta releases (JBoss AS 5.1 has only 2 beta releases and 5.0.1 has none).

Will the majority of these Alphas and Betas become GA releases in JBoss AS 6.1? If not, would we be better off using JBoss AS 5.1?

Bellow is the list of Alpha and Beta releases for JBoss AS 6.0.0, 5.1 and 5.0.1

Many Thanks,

Paul.

-------------------------------------

https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/releases/org/jboss/jbossas/jboss-as-component-matrix/6.0.0.Final/jboss-as-component-matrix-6.0.0.Final.pom

beanvalidation.integration 1.0.0-Beta-1
      jboss.injection 1.0.0-alpha-6
      org.jboss.bootstrap 2.1.0-alpha-5
      org.jboss.ejb3.depchain 1.0.0-alpha-43
      org.jboss.ejb3.embedded 1.0.0-alpha-4
      org.jboss.ejb.api 1.0-alpha-1
      org.jboss.embedded 1.0.0-alpha-3
      org.jboss.injection 0.1.0-alpha-2
      org.jboss.jpa.deployers 1.0.2-alpha-3
      org.jboss.jpa.vfs3 1.0.2-alpha-2
      org.jboss.jpa.mcint 1.0.0-alpha-2
      org.jboss.logging 3.0.0.Beta4
      managed.beans.depchain 1.0.0-alpha-6
      org.jboss.metadata.client 2.0.0.Alpha2
      org.jboss.metadata.common 2.0.0.Alpha24
      org.jboss.metadata.ear 2.0.0.Alpha4
      org.jboss.metadata.ejb 2.0.0-alpha-27
      org.jboss.metadata.rar 2.0.0.Alpha
      org.jboss.remoting3 3.1.0.Beta2
      org.jboss.remoting3.metadata 1.0.0.Beta2
      org.jboss.shrinkwrap 1.0.0-alpha-11
      org.jboss.switchboard.depchain 1.0.0-alpha-15
      weld.api 1.1.Beta2

https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/releases/org/jboss/jbossas/jboss-as-component-matrix/5.1.0.GA/jboss-as-component-matrix-5.1.0.GA.pom

org.jboss.bootstrap 1.0.0-Beta-3
      webbeans.integration 5.2.0.Beta2

https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/releases/org/jboss/jbossas/jboss-as-component-matrix/5.0.1.GA/jboss-as-component-matrix-5.0.1.GA.pom

none

• 1. JBoss 6.1 or JBoss 5.1 for Production?
          jaikiran

Paul Robinson wrote:

Hello,

We need to know which version of JBoss AS, to use for a production system. My first instincts would be to go for JBoss AS 6.1 as it will be the latest final release and I would assume will receive the best level of support via the forums. However, from looking at the Maven repository, we can see that the 6.0.0 release contains 25 Alpha or Beta releases (JBoss AS 5.1 has only 2 beta releases and 5.0.1 has none).

Don't go by those individual version naming of the projects. Although efforts were made to make each project follow the same version/release naming proceedures, given the vast number of projects involved in JBoss AS, the naming of the versions didn't really match the expectation. Overall, the JBoss AS 6.0 as a project passes various testsuites and is certified for web profile.

Paul Robinson wrote:

If not, would we be better off using JBoss AS 5.1?

For those users who have an option of using JBoss AS6, I will not recommend JBoss AS5, since there have been a large number of bug fixes and new features after JBoss AS5 was released. So use the latest AS 6.0.0.Final.