1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 4:07 AM by omvinh

Securing the JMX Console

sun81

Hi,

I am working on securing the JMX console for JBOSS 4.2.1 and following the below article to make the necessary configuration changes:

http://community.jboss.org/wiki/securetheJmxConsole

But, even after doing the necessary steps and when I tried to login to the JMX console it is not working...I am getting the below error message int he Jboss server console:

13:48:00,014 ERROR [UsersRolesLoginModule] Failed to load users/passwords/role files
      java.io.IOException: No properties file: users.properties or defaults: defaultUsers.properties found
              at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.Util.loadProperties(Util.java:315)
              at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule.loadUsers(UsersRolesLoginModule.java:186)
              at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule.createUsers(UsersRolesLoginModule.java:200)
              at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule.initialize(UsersRolesLoginModule.java:127)

I did the below steps:

1. {jboss.server.home.dir}/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml : Uncommented the block :<security-constraint>
      and added <login-config> block like the one below:

<login-config>
            <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
            <realm-name>jmx-console</realm-name>
         </login-config>

2. Changed the username/password in the file :

{jboss.server.home.dir}/conf/props/jmx-console-users.properties

3. {jboss.server.home.dir}/conf/login-config.xml
      Changed the path to the web-console-users.properties and the web-console-roles.properties as follows (add props/ to the front of the path)

Restarted my server and tried to login to JMX- Console, it is prompting for the user/pwd but when I give the right one it is giving the above error.

Can some body please guide me through the steps.

I have attached the files I have changed.

Thanks,

Bhanu.

• 1. Re: Securing the JMX Console
          sun81

I was able to make it work. Please follow the below steps:

1. {jboss.server.home.dir}/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml :

Uncomment the block :<security-constraint>

And add <login-config> block like the one below:

<security-constraint>

<web-resource-collection>

<web-resource-name>HtmlAdaptor</web-resource-name>

<description>An example security config that only allows users with the

role JBossAdmin to access the HTML JMX console web application

</description>

<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

<http-method>GET</http-method>

<http-method>POST</http-method>

</web-resource-collection>

<auth-constraint>

<role-name>JBossAdmin</role-name>

</auth-constraint>

</security-constraint>

<login-config>

</login-config>

<security-role>

</security-role>

2. {jboss.server.home.dir}/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml

Uncomment the security-domain block:

<security-domain>java:/jaas/jmx-console</security-domain>

3. Change the username/password in the file :

{jboss.server.home.dir}/conf/props/jmx-console-users.properties

Eg: admin=admin (or give your own password)

And the file {jboss.server.home.dir}/conf/props/jmx-console-roles.properties should have the below entry (the user mapped to the JBossAdmin role)

admin=JBossAdmin,HttpInvoker

4. {jboss.server.home.dir}/conf/login-config.xml

Change the path to the web-console-users.properties and the web-console-roles.properties as follows (add props/ to the front of the path)

<application-policy name = "jmx-console">

<authentication>

<login-module code="org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule"

flag = "required">

<module-option>props\jmx-console-users.properties</module-option>

<module-option>props\jmx-console-roles.properties</module-option>

</login-module>

</authentication>

</application-policy>

• 2. Securing the JMX Console
            edgarosy

I know this post has been here for a while, but I do have a question about it since I recently started using Jboss 5 and noticed that the http://localhost:8080/jmx-console page is opened to everyone.

I followed all of your steps and am able to get the login screen. Once I  input the user name & password I configured on the jmx-console-users.properties I don't get any errors on the page itself but instead it keeps redirecting me back to the login prompt even though I am typing the correct user name & password information.

When I look at the server.log on the server itself I see these error messages. What did I do wrong and can any of you help me figure this out.

ER [org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule] (http-0.0.0.0-8080-1) Failed to load users/passwords/role files

java.io.IOException: No properties file: props/users.properties or defaults: defaultUsers.properties found

at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.Util.loadProperties(Util.java:198)

at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule.loadUsers(UsersRolesLoginModule.java:186)

at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule.createUsers(UsersRolesLoginModule.java:200)

at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsersRolesLoginModule.initialize(UsersRolesLoginModule.java:127)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invoke(LoginContext.java:756)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.access$000(LoginContext.java:186)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext$4.run(LoginContext.java:683)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invokePriv(LoginContext.java:680)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.login(LoginContext.java:579)

at org.jboss.security.plugins.auth.JaasSecurityManagerBase.defaultLogin(JaasSecurityManagerBase.java:552)

at org.jboss.security.plugins.auth.JaasSecurityManagerBase.authenticate(JaasSecurityManagerBase.java:486)

at org.jboss.security.plugins.auth.JaasSecurityManagerBase.isValid(JaasSecurityManagerBase.java:365)

at org.jboss.security.plugins.JaasSecurityManager.isValid(JaasSecurityManager.java:160)

at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JBossWebRealm.authenticate(JBossWebRealm.java:384)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.BasicAuthenticator.authenticate(BasicAuthenticator.java:181)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:491)

at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:92)

at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.process(SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.java:126)

at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.invoke(SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.java:70)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:158)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:330)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:828)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:601)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Thank you.

• 3. Securing the JMX Console
              edgarosy

Nevermind. I got it working.

bah.

• 4. Securing the JMX Console
                dmanyemwe

Hi All,

I have followed the steps at http://community.jboss.org/wiki/SecureTheJmxConsole exactly but I am still not being prompted for a user name and password! Is there another configuration elsewhere in JBoss that overrides the application policy? Im using JBoss-5.1.0.GA. Thanks!

login-config.xml [jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/conf/login-config.xml]

<application-policy name="jmx-console">

<authentication>

flag="required">

<module-option name="usersProperties">props/jmx-console-users.properties</module-option>

<module-option name="rolesProperties">props/jmx-console-roles.properties</module-option>

</login-module>

</authentication>

</application-policy>

jboss-web.xml [jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml]

<jboss-web>

</jboss-web>

Web.xml [jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml]

<security-constraint>

</description>

<auth-constraint>

</auth-constraint>

</security-constraint>

<login-config>

</login-config>

<security-role>

</security-role>

</web-app>

My users and roles properties files are fine since the login works for the admin-console (it uses java:/jaas/jmx-console as well).

• 5. Securing the JMX Console
                  nickarls

Tried on a clean browser / after a server restart? If you share domains (e.g with the admin-console) it might remember your previous login?

• 6. Securing the JMX Console
                    dmanyemwe

Hi Nicklas,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I have restarted the jboss service several times and have tried from a fresh install of Chrome, it always enters without prompting for credentials. I thought there may be another setting somewhere that overrides this? Note though that it does ask for the credentials when I log into the admin-console. Any ideas?

• 7. Securing the JMX Console
                      nickarls

Not really, I've only done it on AS 6 but I would think as long as the correct security related blocks were uncommented in both web.xml and jboss-web.xml, it should start working...

• 8. Securing the JMX Console
                        dmanyemwe

Ok, there must be some caching going on somewhere then, will try rebooting and deleting temp files. Thanks!

• 9. Securing the JMX Console
                          dmanyemwe

Still no luck, this is very strange. There must be another config somewhere thats blocking my auth.

• 10. Securing the JMX Console
                            nickarls

And you're sure you have edited the correct web.xml and jboss-web.xml files? What are the full paths to them?

• 11. Securing the JMX Console
                              dmanyemwe

I'm quite sure, the files edited are as below - full paths in [square brackets]:

login-config.xml [jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/conf/login-config.xml]

<application-policy name="jmx-console">

<authentication>

flag="required">

<module-option name="usersProperties">props/jmx-console-users.properties</module-option>

<module-option name="rolesProperties">props/jmx-console-roles.properties</module-option>

</login-module>

</authentication>

</application-policy>

jboss-web.xml [jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml]

<jboss-web>

</jboss-web>

Web.xml [jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/jmx-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml]

<security-constraint>

</description>

<auth-constraint>

</auth-constraint>

</security-constraint>

<login-config>

</login-config>

<security-role>

</security-role>

</web-app>

• 12. Securing the JMX Console
                                edgarosy

What about the /jboss/server/instance/deploy/management/console-mgr.sar/web-console.war/WEB-INF web.xml and jboss-web.xml file. Did you comment out the security blocks there too?

• 13. Securing the JMX Console
                                  dmanyemwe

I think those configs are for the web console, the security domain there is java:/jaas/web-console. But to answer your question, yes I did! The web-console actually has the same problem as the jmx-console, it is also not showing the credential dialog.

• 14. Securing the JMX Console
                                    edgarosy

Is your /opt/jboss/server/instance/conf/props  jmx-console-roles.properties & web-console-roles.properties configured like this:

username=JBossAdmin,HttpInvoker (username = to whatever you place under the jmx-console-roles.properties)

your jmx-console-users.properties & web-console-users.properties should be configured like this:

username=domain

I am new to Jboss, but I was also having a hard time getting this to work.

1 2 Previous Next