1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 116 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 3:21 PM by anil.saldhana Go to original post
      • 75. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149

Unlike Ales I don't have a problem with making the default value
        a system property as long as there is more fine grained control for each classloader.

But...

"anil.saldhana@jboss.com" wrote:

DefaultClassLoaderSystem.java
        -------------------------------------
        public class DefaultClassLoaderSystem extends ClassLoaderSystem
        {
         @Override
         protected ClassLoaderDomain createDomain(String name)
         {
         return new ClassLoaderDomain(name);
         }
        }

and so on.

There, there is no easy way to get to VFSClassloaderPolicy at the moment for configuration. If it was provided, then it would have been easier. :)

I'm amazed you could find one of the ways to override the ClassLoaderDomain
        implementation, but then didn't find the method on the domain itself? :-)
         /**
         * Invoked before adding a classloader policy
         * @param classLoader the classloader
         * @param policy the classloader policy
         */
         protected void beforeRegisterClassLoader(ClassLoader classLoader, ClassLoaderPolicy policy)
         {
         // nothing
         }

I'm defintely not saying that is the correct way to do it.
        The system property is just as good in practice,
        buit the second criteria I have above (the fine-grained control) is missing.
        i.e. there's no way you can change the flag using the ClassLoadingMetaData
        So without the system property, there's no way to change it all. ;-(

• 76. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
          anil.saldhana

/** JBCL-64: CodeSource should use read vfs url **/
           private boolean useRealURL = false;

this.useRealURL = Boolean.valueOf(SecurityActions.getProperty("vfs.codesource.useRealURL", "true"));

So you call that a System Property hack? How? If the property is not set, it is returning the true value.

You prefer the following and the reason?

private boolean useRealURL = true;
           this.useRealURL = Boolean.valueOf(SecurityActions.getProperty("vfs.codesource.useRealURL", "true"));

This is for Ales.

• 77. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
            anil.saldhana

Ales, I did get brocked last year on the non-oo method pattern (previous iteration of the security deployer). Gosh, I should have learned from that mistake. ;)

• 78. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
              starksm64

"adrian@jboss.org" wrote:

The way I see it, is that there are three changes required.

1) The ability to map a vfs url to a real (top level) url

All we need to support in the absence of a custom policy that can deal with vfs* urls are top level urls. Permissions on nested elements is overkill when dealing with urls.

"adrian@jboss.org" wrote:

2) Implementation of a VFSPermission that also implies the real url permission
              (e.g. FilePermission for vfsfile:)

This a function of the underlying URLConnection, so another reason not to leverage the java.net.url layer long term. In the interim it looks necessary.

I agree on 3) as well.

• 79. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                anil.saldhana

Scott, I think we will need a custom policy post AS5GA to correctly get all the use cases, VFS has. At the moment, the criticality is that we have something like 100-200 tests currently disabled in the test suite because the AS cannot run under a security manager.

I did try out the jar url format (which of course turned out to be stupid) that could do nested wars in ears etc.

• 80. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                  starksm64

Right, so what was the solution Adrian said was working with vfs urls?

• 81. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                    anil.saldhana

"scott.stark@jboss.org" wrote:
                    Right, so what was the solution Adrian said was working with vfs urls?

Enable security.xml in the bootstrap.xml, which will install the security manager after classloading.xml. I do not think this is right, one for the reason that we delayed SM installation but also for the reason that the protection domains created during the classloading.xml phase with the vfs urls may not work later.

The simplest is to get the real urls of Virtual files.

VirtualFile.getRealURL() which gets delegated to VFHandler->getRealURL.

My hacky way of using the standard jar urls worked fine (64 out of 67 tests passing).

• 82. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                      anil.saldhana

Actually make that VFSUtils.getRealURL(VirtualFile)

• 83. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                        dmlloyd

And I still like my suggestion of putting stub URL handlers on the boot classpath and then replacing them with a URLStreamHandlerFactory once things get spun up. :-) Then you get a security manager from the start, and additionally you can use the real URLs in codeSource.

• 84. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                          starksm64

"david.lloyd@jboss.com" wrote:
                          And I still like my suggestion of putting stub URL handlers on the boot classpath and then replacing them with a URLStreamHandlerFactory once things get spun up. :-) Then you get a security manager from the start, and additionally you can use the real URLs in codeSource.

So have we tried this?

• 85. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                            anil.saldhana

"david.lloyd@jboss.com" wrote:

Is the behavior consistent on Sun,BEA,IBM,Apple etc versions of JDK5,6?

The issue is in the vfs classloaders. We have a VF whose real url is hidden inside the VF. If it is brought out and given to the CodeSource URL rather than the flexible vfs url, everyone is happy. Because we can specify the permissions on that VF in real url terms in the policy file and at runtime, the File.isFile() check will not puke with
                            protectiondomain that failed (vfszip://my.ear/something.war)
                            { //I have been assigned permissions from the orphan "grant" entry}

The above failure will happen because we cannot specify the vfs url in the security.policy file because the PolicyFile implementation will not read it. So it is the JDK policy file implementation that needs to be torched for being legacy and lazy to change. ;)

DML, real url of a virtual file is (file://xyz) and the vfs url is (vfszip:// or vfsfile:). Not sure you got that. :)

• 86. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                              dmlloyd

Yeah, I got that. But my point was that by having stub URL handlers at VM startup, we *can* specify VFS URLs in security.policy, and the whole dirty mess can be avoided. Still checking to see if the behavior is consistent across various JVMs though. One hopes that this behavior is verified by the TCK, but there's only one way to find out...

• 87. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                                dmlloyd

OK, just tested - it works reliably in Sun, Apple, and IBM JDKs. I don't have JRockit handy to test with.

• 88. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                                  dmlloyd

Here's my little test:

import java.net.URL;
                                  import java.net.URLConnection;
                                  import java.net.URLStreamHandlerFactory;
                                  import java.net.URLStreamHandler;
                                  import java.io.IOException;

public final class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {
                                   final URL urlOne = new URL("http", "www.google.com", "/");
                                   final URLConnection conn = urlOne.openConnection();
                                   final Class<? extends URLConnection> origClass = conn.getClass();
                                   URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory(new URLStreamHandlerFactory() {
                                   public URLStreamHandler createURLStreamHandler(final String protocol) {
                                   if (protocol.equals("http")) {
                                   return new URLStreamHandler() {
                                   @Override
                                   protected URLConnection openConnection(final URL u) throws IOException {
                                   return new URLConnection(u) {
                                   @Override
                                   public void connect() throws IOException {
                                   }
                                   };
                                   }
                                   };
                                   } else {
                                   return null;
                                   }
                                   }
                                   });
                                   final URL urlTwo = new URL("http", "www.google.com", "/");
                                   final URLConnection conn2 = urlTwo.openConnection();
                                   final Class<? extends URLConnection> newClass = conn2.getClass();
                                   System.out.println("First: " + origClass.getName() + ", second: " + newClass.getName());
                                   }
                                  }

The expected result is that the two classes printed are different, which demonstrates that the cache does not survive the setURLStreamHandlerFactory call.

• 89. Re: VFS Permissions - JBMICROCONT-149
                                    anil.saldhana

IRC with DML.

(02:18:46 PM) asaldhan: ping
                                    (02:18:54 PM) dmlloyd: hey
                                    (02:19:03 PM) dmlloyd: writing the test now :)
                                    (02:19:11 PM) asaldhan: :) thx for that
                                    (02:19:25 PM) asaldhan: how to inject the stub handlers into the bootstrap. can we do it via endorsed?
                                    (02:19:35 PM) dmlloyd: easy, just add them to main.jar
                                    (02:19:48 PM) dmlloyd: don't need endorsed at all
                                    (02:19:54 PM) dmlloyd: we'll need to set a system property too
                                    (02:20:18 PM) dmlloyd: but that's better than rewriting VFS at the last minute :) if it works anyway
                                    (02:20:20 PM) asaldhan: u mean the pkgs sys property. right?
                                    (02:20:58 PM) dmlloyd: yeah java.protocol.handler.pkgs
                                    (02:21:04 PM) asaldhan: currently I think one of the vfs beans does the system.setprop(pkgs)
                                    (02:21:09 PM) asaldhan: not done in the command line
                                    (02:21:33 PM) dmlloyd: yeah, I think that's not the right approach - we should be using a URLStreamHandlerFactory instead
                                    (02:21:44 PM) dmlloyd: once the container is bootstrapped I mean
                                    (02:21:51 PM) asaldhan: right.
                                    (02:22:18 PM) dmlloyd: I guess as a temp hack we could just plug in a URLStreamHandlerFactory that always returns null which will just effectively clear the cache
                                    (02:22:26 PM) dmlloyd: then reset the sys property...
                                    (02:22:39 PM) dmlloyd: I'd be a lot less sure of that working though
                                    (02:24:28 PM) asaldhan: give it a shot with various jdk implementations.
                                    (02:26:33 PM) dmlloyd: ok, well it definitely works on sun jdk (of course)
                                    (02:26:39 PM) dmlloyd: next: apple...
                                    (02:26:54 PM) asaldhan: jrockit is quite close to sun
                                    (02:27:03 PM) asaldhan: so check with ibm if possible
                                    (02:27:26 PM) dmlloyd: yeah I just downloaded IBM this morning
                                    (02:31:35 PM) dmlloyd: works on apple...
                                    (02:31:37 PM) dmlloyd: next IBM
                                    (02:31:44 PM) asaldhan: good.
                                    (02:38:16 PM) dmlloyd: works in IBM
                                    (02:38:22 PM) dmlloyd: I don't have jrockit handy
                                    (02:38:23 PM) asaldhan: sweet
                                    (02:39:14 PM) dmlloyd: it's just a simple class, let me put it in a pastebin
                                    (02:39:28 PM) asaldhan: do put it on the dev forum man
                                    (02:39:31 PM) asaldhan: forget paste bin
                                    (02:39:41 PM) asaldhan: just put it in the thread.
                                    (02:40:54 PM) asaldhan: I peeked at the source of URL class and can see what u preach
                                    (02:41:01 PM) asaldhan: handlers.clear()
                                    (02:41:11 PM) dmlloyd: done
                                    (02:41:43 PM) dmlloyd: yeah, I think it's all implied in the javadoc for URL.setStreamHandlerFactory()
                                    (02:43:26 PM) asaldhan: yeah. Let me give this a shot.
                                    (02:51:08 PM) asaldhan: dml
                                    (02:51:17 PM) asaldhan: let me understand this:
                                    (02:51:40 PM) asaldhan: we call this setSHF method at most ONCE
                                    (02:51:43 PM) dmlloyd: right
                                    (02:51:47 PM) asaldhan: so we install this factory.
                                    (02:51:53 PM) asaldhan: which clears the handlers.
                                    (02:52:14 PM) dmlloyd: yes
                                    (02:52:22 PM) asaldhan: after that. we install the handlers?
                                    (02:52:37 PM) dmlloyd: once it's installed, we could do it one of two or three ways
                                    (02:53:29 PM) dmlloyd: (1) the handler could just be a dummy that always returns null - this will cause the default mechanism to be used. But if we do it this way, we'd have to change the value of the java.protocol.handler.pkgs property first (and I"m not 100% sure it won't just reuse the old cached ones in some cases - seems iffy to me)
                                    (02:54:14 PM) dmlloyd: (2) we could install a handler that emulates the existing URL resolution behavior by looking up the classes by package name, taking into account the *real* VFS url handlers
                                    (02:55:16 PM) dmlloyd: (3) we could design a URL handler loader POJO component which specifies an API for in-container URL handlers (most flexible but requires a new API for URLStreamHandlers - not a big deal but more work than (2))
                                    (02:55:33 PM) dmlloyd: the safest & easiest would be (2) imo
                                    (02:56:19 PM) dmlloyd: the URLSHF should be installed at the time when the MC would ordinarily set the "java.protocol.handler.pkgs" sys property
                                    (02:56:35 PM) asaldhan: yeah, we can make this the first bean
                                    (02:57:28 PM) asaldhan: if we have installed a SM, then the setSHF call go through the sm check, which means we have read the policy file (and the vfs entries thrown out)
                                    (02:57:40 PM) dmlloyd: yes and no
                                    (02:57:46 PM) dmlloyd: the vfs entries won't be thrown out
                                    (02:57:52 PM) dmlloyd: that's the beauty of the whole idea :)
                                    (02:58:05 PM) asaldhan: will give it a shot.
                                    (02:58:27 PM) asaldhan: explain why the entries will not be thrown out
                                    (02:58:34 PM) dmlloyd: why would they be?
                                    (02:58:59 PM) asaldhan: because we have not installed the handlers
                                    (02:59:06 PM) dmlloyd: the handlers don't need to be there
                                    (02:59:15 PM) dmlloyd: the policy never uses them when loading the file
                                    (02:59:18 PM) dmlloyd: it just checks that it's there
                                    (02:59:33 PM) asaldhan: can I paste this chat into the forums?
                                    (02:59:40 PM) dmlloyd: yeah, I was just going to do that :)
                                    (02:59:43 PM) asaldhan: for archival purposes.
                                    (02:59:51 PM) dmlloyd: go ahead

(03:09:07 PM) asaldhan: I think the classloading.xml has the VFSClassloader doing the Policy.getPolicy().getPermissions(Codesource). That is where we have the issue with vfs urls
                                    (03:09:24 PM) dmlloyd: yes
                                    (03:09:47 PM) asaldhan: at this stage, we should have had our protocol handlers registered.
                                    (03:09:50 PM) dmlloyd: but again, it shouldn't actually be trying to open any real connections
                                    (03:10:02 PM) asaldhan: policyFile implementation does that
                                    (03:10:14 PM) asaldhan: it tries to canonicalize the url
                                    (03:10:20 PM) asaldhan: wait
                                    (03:10:21 PM) asaldhan: it does
                                    (03:10:32 PM) asaldhan: url.openConnection().getPermissions()
                                    (03:11:26 PM) dmlloyd: so our stubs should be returning a reasonable value
                                    (03:11:38 PM) dmlloyd: maybe AllPermission is OK for the early-boot stage?
                                    (03:11:44 PM) asaldhan: but
                                    (03:12:07 PM) dmlloyd: or, a special early-boot RuntimePermission perhaps
                                    (03:12:22 PM) asaldhan: http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/jboss-cl/trunk/classloading-vfs/src/main/java/org/jboss/classloading/spi/vfs/policy/VFSClassLoaderPolicy.java
                                    (03:12:42 PM) asaldhan: protected ProtectionDomain getProtectionDomain(String className, String path)
                                    (03:12:46 PM) asaldhan: last line of that method
                                    (03:14:40 PM) asaldhan: at this stage, our vfs entries need to be read
                                    (03:14:53 PM) dmlloyd: it should be doable though
                                    (03:15:13 PM) dmlloyd: the main issue is to get past main.jar
                                    (03:15:44 PM) dmlloyd: like I said, the URLSHF should be installed at the time when the MC would ordinarily set the "java.protocol.handler.pkgs" sys property
                                    (03:16:03 PM) dmlloyd: which would be fairly early in the bootstrap I guess
                                    (03:16:35 PM) dmlloyd: or else, no later than just after the VFS URL handlers are available
                                    (03:16:40 PM) dmlloyd: which I guess you already said :)
                                    (03:17:14 PM) asaldhan: yeah we can install the SHF before the sys property for handlers
                                    (03:17:53 PM) asaldhan: but at the time the policy entries are read, the vfs handlers should be there.
                                    (03:19:00 PM) asaldhan: will give it a try
                                    (03:19:15 PM) asaldhan: AND I sure hope u r right. :)
                                    (03:20:28 PM) dmlloyd: if it doesn't work, we could switch to a variant of (3) where we create a sort of "LazyURLConnection" that uses the implementation when it becomes available

1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next