1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2006 12:45 PM by leaked Go to original post
      • 30. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

"dhartford" wrote:

If there is a list of 20 portlets for a user to select, will they be able to see/understand the preferred-width size of the portlets so that user can choose the best column to add the portlet to?

-D

Currently, no. I'm not sure of a workaround, as a portlet developer would have to say "this portlet's main table is a fixed 300px" and the portal would have to know this.

Of course, with the current testing underway of the ajax window mover, its as simple as a user dropping a portlet on to a spot and seeing it does not fit. A good example, is the CMSPortlet, as its too wide for the left column, with the default data. So I simply move it back when it appears strange.

• 31. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

"zerrt1" wrote:
          I agree with the above post that being able to order the navigation tabs is a very useful addition. Actually I think it is almost essential.

There are two open reqs wrt navigationportlet that I am working on currently.

1. ordering (partners at AEM submitted something here)
          2. stretching - small resolutions cause the tabs to wrap and look like a mess.

• 32. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
            claprun

Comments on the UI mockup:

- add content and collapse all should be within pages, probably in a reserved area at the top since it is confusing to find it outside of a page.

- edit mode should use icon, not text: using text is not consistent, takes too much space and can cause problems with respect to internalization

- edit page icon (triangle) does not make any sense, should use same icon as edit mode icon

- add page and login links should be put more in evidence

- do not assume that portals with use the navigation portlet with a tab metaphor: maybe the edit page command should be within the page? The add page command makes less sense when the tab metaphor is not used...

- allowing addition of content to any page is confusing in the tab interface and doesn't make that much sense when not using the tab interface (since the concept of page is not as visible)

• 33. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

"chris.laprun@jboss.com" wrote:

- add content and collapse all should be within pages, probably in a reserved area at the top since it is confusing to find it outside of a page.

Point taken: All utility functions (add page, add content, edit page) should be defined as a region, so you can place wherever you want.

"chris.laprun@jboss.com" wrote:

- edit mode should use icon, not text: using text is not consistent, takes too much space and can cause problems with respect to internalization

No. When we had icon, users were confused.

• 34. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                dhartford

No. When we had icon, users were confused.

Icons would work well, once users understood what the icon meant (i.e. internationalized hover-tags).

• 35. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

Yes, I think Chris was speaking in the context of the code I checked in to 2.6. It currently uses the word "Edit" for editMode and "Cancel" to return to viewMode.

This is managed via the css, so you can use icons if you still want to. Just know that the default theme will have text for edit/view modes.

• 36. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                    andyd

Hi,
                    Is it possible to specify images for the names of pages on the page tabs, currently (2.4)? If not, it would be good to be able to specify a number of images with support formhover, etc.
                    Andy.

• 37. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

Its something to consider. I'll see if its possible, given the time-frame.

• 38. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                        andyd

Cool, thanks Roy. I'm very new to portal but am having fun with it at the moment trying it out for a home project with seam and hopefully ajax/seam remoting support in time. I'm really impressed so far and the 2.6 feature list is looking pretty impressive as well.
                        Andy.

• 39. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                          mvoopentext

The current layout only respects the default modes view, help and edit.

If an application defined an additional mode like "config" the portal should offer a new button beside the other buttons for "edit" and "help". Some generic icons would do, or just the name of the mode.

Use case:
                          Websphere knows a mode called config that overwrites default preferences ofthe portlet.xml and is only accessible by administrators. Settings changed in config mode are default values for users in edit mode, but can be changed by users.

To implement this behavior on jboss we had (among other things) to add a button in the jsp for the edit mode to get to the config mode. If jboss respected the declared mode and request.getPortletMode() returned the correct value we would not have to do that.

• 40. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                            theute

I think that you are misinterpreting the spec, see "PLT 8.4. Custom Porlet Modes"

Portlet Modes are defined by the *portal vendor*.

If Websphere decided to add a portlet mode, that portlet mode would not work in any other portal vendor.

request.getPorletMode() returns the correct value, the declared mode has to match a mode known by the porlal vendor.

But this is out of scope of the current forum thread.

• 41. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

jboss-portal2.6 support ajax or ajax4jsf or g4jsf ?

• 42. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                                yuwono

These are rather request than requirement :
                                1. I'm asking for a news ticker portlet, kind like on http://plone.org/ (news, upcoming events, latest release etc). I now its easy to develop, but I think its a common portlet, nice to see JBoss Portal have it.

2. Is it possible for CatalogPortlet to show the full tree (without drill down), or is there any properties I've to change? I think (again) full tree format is more common.

Thanks.

• 43. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                                  leaked

Nice job on the portal... The nicest open source Java implementation I've seen so far! HOWEVER, that is about to change with the open sourced SUN Portal.

One of the nice features lacking to the whole AJAXed user experience in JBoss Portal 2.6.0 is AJAXed portlet resizing, closing. It's not like it can't be done... I mean, the resizing bit is happening already when you drag stuff into a wider part of the page. The opening and closing of a portlet window should be easily added too... Maybe even with a nifty sliding animation Apple widget-style to really rub that AJAX goodness in people's faces... Sarcasm aside, I do think AJAX on all window activities is a must. You can't just stop half-way, it breaks the whole user experience, having to post the whole site and come back on a window close or open or resize (full screen) is ridiculous.

While you are injecting AJAX everywhere... You may want to consider drag and drop portlets into the WYSIWYG layout or something... Click the add button, pick a portlet and drop it somewhere on the page... Mmmmm... This portal thing is addictive!

Keep up the great work... JBoss is on fire these days it seems...

• 44. Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements
                                    leaked

P.S. I also think Edit should be an icon on the portlets... Text seems to break the theme. It could be something standard like a pencil or something... People would understand that it means altering.