1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 8:53 AM by juanignaciosl Go to original post
      • 15. Re: interested in contributing ?
        tom.baeyens

first part of the contribution process is that we discuss in a new topic what you're going to contribute and how.

please create a new topic for that and describe what you plan to add in terms of api method's and commands and what kind of tests you plan to create for it.

we can help make that concrete if that turns out to be a problem.

• 16. Re: interested in contributing ?
          caleb.powell

@cammunda I hadn't heard of the ChangeProcessInstanceVersionCommand. It wasn't mentioned in the User Guide so we never noticed it (this is a pity).

Based on what I have read though, our library is more powerful than this command (although to be fair, I have only take a quick look). The jbpm-migrator uses mappings provided by the developer to handle situations where a node has been removed. It will migrate all sub-processes, and it will also migrate the TaskContextInstance. It has the potential for much more, but we limited it's functionality to the essentials.

As for the version issue, I haven't had a chance to look at JBPM 4 at all, but I'm assuming it can be adapted for it. In any case, it's exists in our code base as a standalone component, so it could always be release as a separate download for those using version 3.

• 17. Re: interested in contributing ?
            caleb.powell

@tom.baeyens sounds great Tom. I will post a reply as soon as I can.

Regards,

Caleb

• 18. Re: interested in contributing ?
              camunda

As for the version issue, I haven't had a chance to look at JBPM 4 at all, but I'm assuming it can be adapted for it. In any case, it's exists in our code base as a standalone component, so it could always be release as a separate download for those using version 3.

Ideed, I think thats the best solution.

jbpm 4 has changed in this area a lot, so changing the process instance version is very different, but much easier as well...

• 19. Re: interested in contributing ?
                caleb.powell

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I have made a request to open source the jbpm-migrator project. It may take a little while to get an answer, as we are currently in the middle of kicking of some new development work. I will let you know as soon as I have some news.

Regards,

Caleb

• 20. Re: interested in contributing ?
                  caleb.powell

Hi,

I've been given permission by my employer to open source the jbpm-migrator project! Please let me know what the next steps are.

Cheers!

Caleb

• 21. Re: interested in contributing ?
                    sebastian.s

Hey, that's really great news.

• 22. Re: interested in contributing ?
                      tom.baeyens

i've created svn repo location

https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbpm/projects/instance-migration

for this contribution.

Next step is to sign the contributors agreement

https://www.jboss.org/contribute

Once that is done, the provide me with your username and I'll grant you r/w access to the repository.

• 23. Re: interested in contributing ?
                        camunda

And please have a look in the ChangeProcessInstanceVersionCommand. maybe you can leverage that? Or at least merge the stuff that would be duplicated?

There should be tests for it as well if I remember it right (otherwise ping me, than the tests are here in the customers code).

• 24. Re: interested in contributing ?
                          tom.baeyens

the idea is that Caleb's team puts their code in projects/instance-migration and that we merge it with your ChangeProcessInstanceVersionCommand into the jbpm 4 codebase.

do you agree that is a good plan ?

• 25. Re: interested in contributing ?
                            camunda

Okay. But i expect it to be very different in 4 ;-) At least much easier...

• 26. Re: interested in contributing ?
                              caleb.powell

Hi Tom,

the CEO of my company has asked me for a brief explanation of what it means to contribute this code - from a legal point of view - to JBPM.

I know that we will be releasing the code under the terms of the LGPL. Are there any other considerations I should be aware of? I looked on the JBoss site but I couldn't find any FAQ or other document that explained this. Is it possible for me to provide him with a copy of the Contributor agreement (I will be using the Corporate agreement type)?

• 27. Re: interested in contributing ?
                                koen.aers

Caleb,

Let me explain you my limited knowledge of this agreement.

It means that there is a shared copyright for the contributed code. Red Hat wants to have the ability to do stuff with the contributed code (such as for instance change the license to GPL or APL) without having to ask the formal agreement from each contributor. If this contributor agreement would not be there and if you (or your company) would not agree to e.g. change the license to APL than this would not be possible with LGPL.
                                Btw, you yourself still have the right to distribute your contributed code under another (whether commercial or open source) license than LGPL.

I hope this helps (and that it's somewhat correct ;-) )

Cheers,
                                Koen

• 28. Re: interested in contributing ?
                                  kukeltje

This is indeed the most important part of the agreement and correct afair

• 29. Re: interested in contributing ?
                                    caleb.powell

Thanks for the feedback!