1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 7:43 AM by ilawise26 Go to original post
      • 30. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
        kbarfield

"javajosh" wrote:
        Bit of a brainfart there, it is already a Wiki. It is kind of hard to work with, however, and would probably benefit to being split up into smaller pieces. Would anyone mind if I did that?

First off, thanks for stepping forward to do this. We appreciate folks willing to give back to the community.

I have no problem with anyone modifying the wiki (see my comment at the top of this thread). That being said, there are a couple of things:

* I made it one page so it was easily printable. I thought people would like to have the hard copy next to them while they are going through it.

* I used the bundled version of Eclipse because it is the easiest way to get folks up and running. Please add a section about if you already have Eclipse, but be sure to talk about version numbers.

* I was planning to create a new version when jBPM 3.2 came out, and then have a getting started list page showing each version that is available (yes, I know I should have put the version number into the one I already created).

* If you are going to completely restructure it, it would probably be better to create new wiki page(s) so that the older version continues to exist.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks again,

Kevin

• 31. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
          flawlor

In addition to the changes to the tree structure (src/process is just process) the process definitions no longer have a .par extention. There is also no longer any "Deploy Process Archive" option.

How do you deploy a process defintion?

• 32. Re: Problem with the Eclipse Plugin
            jvdam

hello javajosh,
            I got the same NPE after installing. Have you been able to solve this already?

Regards,

Jim

The file \jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1\jbpm-designer\jbpm-gpd-feature\readme.html implies that all that is needed is to unzip \plugins and \features into one's eclipse directory. This is not the case. After doing so, I receieved this NPE when attempting to read a process definition with the special plugin (note that the "New JBPM Project" feature works fine):

java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.jbpm.ui.editor.DesignerContentProvider.addProcessDiagramDimension(Unknown Source)

• 33. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
              fragglerock

"flawlor" wrote:
              In addition to the changes to the tree structure (src/process is just process) the process definitions no longer have a .par extention. There is also no longer any "Deploy Process Archive" option.

How do you deploy a process defintion?

Same thing here--has this been resolved or is it not an issue? My xml files display but there's no sign of a designer view anywhere to be found. Thanks.

• 34. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                hosierdm

Wow, you guys should search the forum. I know for a fact that this question has been answered at least twice in the last couple weeks.

• 35. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                  kukeltje

c'mon David. That is my line. You should just answer questions :-P

• 36. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                    yelkoury

Hi!
                    Thank You for this doc but it will be more interisting if you put it for download, because i can note save it on my computer.
                    thank you

• 37. Problem whith JBPM installation
                      yelkoury

Hi every body
                      I can not install the JBPM on my machine.
                      I have the js2ee 1.4.2 installed on my computer, when i've lanched the "start.bat" i 've got the window command, every think is normal. But when i try to acces to the login page from my browser (Mozlla Firefox) i get the 404 error from the java applications server.
                      So, where is the problem???

also, i use Eclipse free edition, and i want to plugin JBPM to work with, who can i do that?

Please response me as quickly as possible. Thanks

• 38. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                        wangmsh

to javajosh:
                        jbpm-gpd's plugin is conflict with xmlbuddy's plugin

• 39. Re: Problem whith JBPM installation
                          kbarfield

"yelkoury" wrote:
                          Hi every body
                          I can not install the JBPM on my machine.
                          I have the js2ee 1.4.2 installed on my computer, when i've lanched the "start.bat" i 've got the window command, every think is normal. But when i try to acces to the login page from my browser (Mozlla Firefox) i get the 404 error from the java applications server.
                          So, where is the problem???

also, i use Eclipse free edition, and i want to plugin JBPM to work with, who can i do that?

Please response me as quickly as possible. Thanks

1. Please attach the console output and the URL you are using so we can see what is going on.
                          2. There is a visual process designer plugin available for eclipse. Either download the bundled version (JBoss IDE) or use the Eclipse plugin manager to get it.

• 40. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                            markbarton

This is a comment followed by a question (or request for help).

The comment:
                            I want to echo the comments that others have made: there is a big opportunity for enlarging the jBPM user community by lowering the barriers to entry. We?ve all experienced the frustration of doing ?Hello World? in some unfamiliar environment. Not everybody is fluent with every tool, framework, and package, and it only takes one gap in knowledge to make the whole process fail, thus the need for precise cookbook instructions at the Hello World level. For instance, the JbpmGettingStarted wiki was tremendously helpful, many thanks! It persuaded me to jump in and get started. I looked at jBPM a few months earlier and gave up for lack of a way to get started. When I saw the JbpmGettingStarted, I decided to try it after all.

I think that potential business benefit to JBoss from strengthening the Hello World documentation is substantial. My boss definitely won?t pay for a JBoss consultant to come and help me do a Hello World app. However, once I use jBPM to produce something useful, or at least to produce a proof of concept, there is at least a possibility of justifying a JBoss consultant. The ?Hello World? documentation is vital to recruiting potential JBoss consulting customers.

I understand that resources are scarce, and not everything can be thoroughly documented, but I also think from reading the forum that perhaps some of the experienced folks underestimate the difficulty of getting started, and that if they understood the level of frustration that reasonably experienced developers are having, they might see this basic documentation as a higher priority. (I?ll try to contribute a little to the documentation effort if/when I progress to the point where I understand enough about jBPM to do so.)

The question:
                            I?m trying to build the Starter app (jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1) under Tomcat, using Hypersonic (just to keep it simple). I?ve spent quite a few hours at this point digging around in the jBPM forum, scavenging for clues. I?ve found some hints about some aspects of using Tomcat with jBPM, but not quite enough to get me started.

After getting the Java and jsp files (as documented in the JbpmGettingStarted wiki), I was able to get a clean Tomcat build by including the following jars. (I did find jBPM forum help on which jars to include, but the Starters Kit app seems to need several additional jars.) Here are the jars that were needed:
                            · All 11 jar files from jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1\jbpm-server\server\jbpm\deploy\jbpm.war. (Use Winzip to open the war file and then drag the jar files.)
                            · jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1\jbpm\build\jbpm-3.1.1.jar.
                            · jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1\jbpm\build\jbpm-identity-3.1.1.jar.
                            · jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1\jbpm-server\lib\commons-logging.jar.
                            · jbpm-starters-kit-3.1.1\jbpm\lib\hibernate\hibernate3.jar.
                            · Find struts.jar somewhere on the Web.
                            Having gotten a clean build, I don?t know what the next steps are to get the server running. (My experiments trying to run it were unsuccessful; it seems to require a hibernate.cfg.xml file. If I add one, then there?s a parsing error.) In particular, I?m not clear on whether, fo rthe jBPM server, I need files such as hibernate.cfg.xml, jbpm.cfg.xml, or other configuration files, and if so, what the contents should be and where they go in the directory structure. I?ll confess that I?m also new to Hibernate and Hypersonic, and so I don?t know how to configure them. I was hoping for a cookbook setup to get started with, so that I could use that as a starting point in learning jBPM and Hibernate. Thanks!

• 41. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                              labadi1

Hello

I am new to JBPM i had started reading about a week ago, and after reading and reviewing the examples i had finally did the JBPM integration in my project. But unfortantly i couldnot be sure that my solution is complete or not i am feeling that i am missing something in my code.
                              This feeling was because i couldn't find any documentation that provide a full description to API usage and how to do this and not to do that.
                              I am thinking now in taking a training session with one of the certified trainers for JBoss applications, but i am wondering about wether this course will satisfy my need to get the almost complete picture of JBPM and its coding techniques.....!!!!

Please Advice

• 42. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation

For anybody who wants a local copy of the getting started guide do this.

1. Use Firefox
                                2. Create two directories named Interim and Completed
                                3. With the geting started guide open in the wiki, use 'Save Page As' from the Firefox File menu. Save the page as JBPMGettingStarted.html into the Interim directory.
                                4. In the Interim directory, open the newly created JBPMGettingStarted.html file with Firefox.
                                5. Use 'Save Page As' from the Firefox File menu again. Save the page as JBPMGettingStarted.html into the Completed directory.

Thats it.

The JBPMGettingStarted.html in the Completed directory has an associated folder with all the correct image files, and the links in the html document all point to them. You can delete the interim directory and rename completed whatever you like and move it wherever you like.

Neil

• 43. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation

I have now also posted the getting started guide as a PDF. It is down at the bottom of the front page to the JBPM wiki.

• 44. Re: New jBPM Getting Started Documentation
                                    kbarfield

"n.belford" wrote:
                                    I have now also posted the getting started guide as a PDF. It is down at the bottom of the front page to the JBPM wiki.

Thanks! I meant to do that after I finished the guide, but just forgot.

Kevin