10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 5:45 AM by Andreas Panagiotidis RSS

TransactionManager and UserTransaction

John Pount Newbie

All,

I have a simple spring application working on other app servers but cannot get it going on JBoss (V4). If I use the hibernate transaction manager then everything is fine, but if I try to use the spring JtaTransactionManager then I run into problems....

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager">
<bean>

This gives me the following error:

JTA UserTransaction is not available at JNDI location [java:comp/UserTransaction]; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Object [org.jboss.tm.usertx.client.ServerVMClientUserTransaction@91cc3a] available at JNDI location [java:comp/UserTransaction] does not implement [javax.transaction.UserTransaction]

and this ....

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager">
 <property name="userTransactionName"><null/></property>
 <property name="transactionManagerName">
 <value>java:/TransactionManager</value>
 </property>
</bean>

This gives me the following error:

JTA TransactionManager is not available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager]; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Object [org.jboss.tm.TxManager@ffce21] available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager] does not implement [javax.transaction.TransactionManager]

I have tried numerous other alternatives but with no joy. I am running on the default JBoss server and assume that I am missing something in the setup. Both transactionmanager and usertransaction can be seen in the JBoss jndi admin console. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Bill Burke Master

It looks like you are having classloader issues. Does spring come bundled with classes javax.transaction.*? I ask this because both ServerVMClientUserTransaction and TxManager implement the interfaces spring is telling you the don't.

Let me know if this fixes it.

• 2. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    John Pount Newbie

Bill,

Thanks for your quick reply - yes I noticed that both the JBoss classes implement the relevent interfaces so I was looking for where I had messed up... Following your post, I noticed I had jta.jar in my war file, so I got rid of it and everything is now working fine.

Thanks for your help,
    John

• 3. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Thomas Orr Newbie

I'm getting the same error, except I do not have any jta.jar in my jboss-4.0.3SP1 (all) install. Is this something that must be added in afterwards? I chose the all selection in the installer, and confirmed in the detailed option that it was installing JTA.

What was the final spring configuration for the transactionManager?

Thanks,
    T

• 4. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Thomas Orr Newbie

Nevermind. I got it. You do have to specify a name, apparently. It also must be "UserTransaction" as in:

<bean id="transactionManager"
     class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager">
     <property name="userTransactionName">
     <value>UserTransaction</value>
     </property>
     </bean>

Then it seems to work...mysterious.

• 5. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Dave Chen Master

I am trying to use JTA UserTransaction. I have JBoss 4.0.3 SP1. Where is the JTA jar file? I could not find it. Do you I need to download from sun?
    which jar is The class javax.transaction.UserTransaction in?

Thanks for help

• 6. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Ales Justin Master

It's in jboss-j2ee.jar.

• 7. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Magnus Poromaa Newbie

Hi guys

Im having the same problem. Im trying to connect to the TransactionManager and get the same error. I've gone through the jar files i deploy in the WAR file and there is no jta.jar or any other jar file containnig javax.transaction.TransactionManager. Still it get the

[java:/TransactionManager] is not assignable to [javax.transaction.TransactionManager].

I get that it must be that i have the wrong TransactionManager class in the classpath somewhere but I cant find it. Is there any one who solved it who can give me some tips?

P:s I also had the jta.jar file in my war file before but I removed it but still the same outcome. D:s

THX, Cheers
    Magnus

• 8. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Brian McGovern Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem, and have not found jta.jar anywhere. I noticed in the web-console that under J2EE Resources, there is an entity called TransactionManager, but i can view no properties on it. Should i be able to?

In general, does anyone have a good idea how to solve the problem here:

JTA TransactionManager is not available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager]; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Object [org.jboss.tm.TxManager@ffce21] available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager] does not implement [javax.transaction.TransactionManager]

• 9. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Bal Mark Newbie

Quick check ..
    see how many jars you have with JTA in it in all your lib folders :P

then in your
    <.ear>/.war/WEB-INF/lib

move the jta.jar (if here) to a different folder outside the classpath

• 10. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
    Andreas Panagiotidis Novice

It's exactly like this, I  had the same problem with Spring and JBoss 4.2. Exception

Caused by: org.springframework.transaction.TransactionSystemException:

JTA TransactionManager is not available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager];

nested exception is

org.springframework.jndi.TypeMismatchNamingException:

Object of type [class org.jboss.tm.TxManager]

available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager] is not assignable

to [javax.transaction.TransactionManager]

My application had added in the EAR its own JTA library, thus this one was used instead of the jta that comes from JBoss.

I use maven, so excluding the JTA artifacts in my pom solved the problem.

<dependency>
        <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
        <artifactId>hibernate-validator</artifactId>
        <exclusions>
             <exclusion>
                 <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
                 <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
              </exclusion>
        </exclusions>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.quartz-scheduler</groupId>