1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 8:45 AM by jesper.pedersen Go to original post
      • 15. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
        jesper.pedersen

You'll need a ASM-3.x jar file - the profiler will switch to Javassist before GA.

You can use the 1.0.CR4 release together wth AS-4.0:

http://labs.jboss.com/jbossprofiler/

Please, note that its a completely different codebase and contains a binary module. See the documentation for further details.

Otherwise just try the 2.0.CR8 together with AS-4.0 and report success/failure.

Hope this helps !

• 16. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
          imavroukakis

b@lls :) we cannot use jdk1.5 at all with our current codebase, I'm about to try Profiler 2 with 1.6, will let you know what results I get.

• 17. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
            imavroukakis

Getting this while connecting to the profiler

[root@homer jboss-profiler-2.0.CR8]# java -jar jboss-profiler-client.jar getSnapshot 1
            2008-01-24 11:36:22,690 ERROR [org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketClientInvoker] Got marshalling exception, exiting
            java.net.SocketException: end of file
            at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.transport(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:575)
            at org.jboss.remoting.MicroRemoteClientInvoker.invoke(MicroRemoteClientInvoker.java:122)
            at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:1550)
            at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:530)
            at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:518)
            at org.jboss.profiler.client.cmd.Client.main(Client.java:255)
            2008-01-24 11:36:22,696 ERROR [org.jboss.profiler.client.cmd.Client] Failed to communicate. Problem during marshalling/unmarshalling; nested exception is:
            java.rmi.MarshalException: Failed to communicate. Problem during marshalling/unmarshalling; nested exception is:
            at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketClientInvoker.handleException(SocketClientInvoker.java:122)
            at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.transport(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:654)
            at org.jboss.remoting.MicroRemoteClientInvoker.invoke(MicroRemoteClientInvoker.java:122)
            at org.jboss.profiler.client.cmd.Client.main(Client.java:255)
            Caused by: java.net.SocketException: end of file
            at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.transport(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:575)
            ... 5 more

• 18. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
              jesper.pedersen

You need jboss-profiler.sar in deploy/ if you want remote access to it (see README.txt; deployment steps).

Control the communicator through the MBean in jmx-console.

Hope this helps !

• 19. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                imavroukakis

Yep it's there :-). RMI is the only thing that seems to work, socket and http both blow up.

• 20. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                  jesper.pedersen

Try to compile the distribution using the libraries from the AS-4.0 installation - it may help.

But one protocol is enough, right ? You are able to retrieve the information from the server, right ?

I will look into deployment in AS-4.0 at some point - but can't say when.

Hope this helps !

• 21. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                    alwinint

Hi,

so far, I was successuflly able to set up the profiler as I see the MBean in the JMX console. Starting works fine, but it seems that the proerties file is completely ignored (which I put in the server's bin directory and included the setting in the run.conf).

Secondly, if I try to issue a stopProfiler or snapshot command, I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException
                    at org.jboss.profiler.agent.ClassUtil.getClasses(ClassUtil.java:80)
                    at org.jboss.profiler.agent.Profiler.stopProfiler(Profiler.java:146)
                    at org.jboss.profiler.connectors.AbstractHandler.handleCommand(AbstractH
                    andler.java:51)
                    at org.jboss.profiler.connectors.SocketHandler.invoke(SocketHandler.java
                    :50)
                    at org.jboss.remoting.ServerInvoker.invoke(ServerInvoker.java:734)
                    at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.processInvocation(Se
                    rverThread.java:560)
                    at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.dorun(ServerThread.j
                    ava:369)
                    at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.ServerThread.run(ServerThread.jav
                    a:165)
                    at org.jboss.remoting.MicroRemoteClientInvoker.invoke(MicroRemoteClientI
                    nvoker.java:163)
                    at org.jboss.profiler.client.cmd.Client.main(Client.java:252)

even though I tried to add some classes before (and also set the include proerty in the file). I am using JBoss 4.0.4-GA right now. Is there anything which I can change?

• 22. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                      jesper.pedersen

Have you checked the rest of this thread regarding AS-4.0 and followed all the deployment steps in the README.txt file ?

It doesn't sound like the -D properties are set up correctly...

I'll add a guard for the NPE.

Hope this helps !

• 23. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                        jeff_porter

hello all,

I'm trying to get this profiler working with my setup.

JBoss: 4.22GA
                        Jetty. 617
                        JDK 1.5

Im following the instructions in the readme.txt, but I'm stuck on this line...

Edit run.conf in jbossas/bin to include JBoss Profiler in JAVA_OPTS

Do I setup something under 'PROFILER=' or via the JAVA_OPTS? if so what?

Thanks
                        Jeff Porter

• 24. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                          jeff_porter

forgot to say I'm on Windows.

Thanks
                          Jeff Porter

• 25. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                            jesper.pedersen

You properly need to include the JAVA_OPTS directly in run.bat.

No need to update the PROFILER setting.

Otherwise you should be ok in your setup - let me know if this works.

• 26. Re: JBoss Profiler 2

Try copying the jboss-remoting.jar from the jboss-profiler-2.0.CR8 release to your jbossas 4.0.x. I have it working now with AS 4.0.5.

• 27. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                                pon.umapathy

Hi,
                                Is there any gui based tool to analyze the snapshot information?

• 28. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                                  jesper.pedersen

There will be a GUI based tool when we hit GA.

E.g. we are working on it currently :)

• 29. Re: JBoss Profiler 2
                                    mgearhart

Hi

I'm trying to get this profiler working with my setup. I'm running on
                                    Windows:

JBoss: 4.3.0 GA
                                    jboss-profile-2.0.CR8

I am following the instructions in the readme.txt. When a start up, I get
                                    the following error:

2008-04-08 10:23:53,068 DEBUG [org.jboss.deployment.SARDeployer] Registering service UCL=jmx.loading:UCL=177fa9a
                                    2008-04-08 10:23:53,068 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceCreator] About to create bean: org.jboss.profiler:service=Profiler with code: org.jboss.profiler.as.Profiler
                                    2008-04-08 10:23:53,068 ERROR [org.jboss.mx.server.registry.BasicMBeanRegistry] Cannot register MBean
                                    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jboss/profiler/shared/Visibility
                                    at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
                                    at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2395)
                                    at java.lang.Class.privateGetPublicMethods(Class.java:2519)
                                    at java.lang.Class.getMethods(Class.java:1406)

I have jboss-profile.jar in my bin directory, and jar tf shows
                                    org/jboss/profiler/shared/Visibility.class

Not sure how to resolve. Thanks.