3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2008 5:58 AM by Richard Opalka RSS

Use "context listener" in Web Service as "ServletContextList

Tao Sang Newbie

Dear forum,

Currently I am working on a J2EE/JBoss web service project. I'd like to use a simillar "context listener" in a web service project, just as the "ServletContextListener " has done in a web GUI application (WAR). The package structure of a web service project is different from a web application project. E.g. there is neither "web.xml" file nor "WEB-INF" folder in a web serivce project package.

I am new in JBoss web service, any help and response will be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Tao

• 1. Re: Use
    Richard Opalka Master

Hi pandatao,

you have to specify the following context param in your webservice web.xml:

<context-param>
     <param-name>org.jboss.ws.webapp.ServletContextListener</param-name>
     <param-value>mycompany.ServletContextListenerImpl</param-value>
    </context-param>

It is supported on each AS 4.2.x and above.

• 2. Re: Use
    Tao Sang Newbie

Hi Richard,
    Thank you for your reply!
    I have two more questions:

1. In my current project package there is no "web.xml". Where should I put a new web.xml? The following is the structure of my ear file. I have tried to put the "WEB-INF/web.xml" on the same level of the two "META-INF" folders, but it does not work.

App.ear
     - META-INF/
     -application.xml
     - AppClient.jar
     - App.jar
     - META-INF/
     - wsdl/
     - App.wsdl
     - webservice.xml
     - mapping.xml
     - jboss.xml
     - ejb-jar.xml
     - classes/
     - saaj-impl.jar
     - jaxrpc-spi.jar
     - jaxrpc-impl.jar

2. Currently I am using the JBoss version 4.0.2 (with Patch 10). Due to several reasons I can't upgrade the JBoss server to version 4.2.x. Do you think the "context-param" will work in the verson 4.0.2? I tried the "ServletContextListener" in a WAR application in 4.0.2 und it works.

• 3. Re: Use
    Richard Opalka Master

Hi pandatao,

1.) You can use ServletContextListeners for JaxWS POJO endpoints (no EJB3). I see you're using ejb's. It will not work there.
    2.) AFAIK JBossAS 4.0.2 webservice module is AXIS based. I have no idea, if it's supported there :(