1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 11:27 PM by gmlopezdev Go to original post Branched from an earlier discussion.
      • 15. Re: Building EAP6 from source
        atijms

I can confirm as well that ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/jbeap/ is still open

Maybe people are a bit on their toes beause at http://maven.repository.redhat.com it says:

"Red Hat reserves the right to modify the behavior and content of this repository or remove it completely with little or no notice."

Those are different sites, but still.

• 16. Re: Building EAP6 from source
          sewatech

Oh yes, it's working again. Sorry for the rough message.

I've no firewall and no proxy. Maybe something was temporary down on the site or with my provider.

• 17. Re: Building EAP6 from source
            henk53

Rich Sharples wrote:

The build process for EAP is a magnitude more complex than for AS 7 and likely for your own needs. [building is] still not going to be simple. So you could consider this a 'usability' bug in the EAP 6 build system - but it's a rather large bug that isn't going to be fixed easily.

Rich, after looking at the patched scripts provided by Alexis Hassler I'm not really sure what to think of that statement. A "magnitude more complex"... the build script is pretty much exactly the same! The main difference is that the junit dependency was renamed to junit-redhat-something. But changing it back to just junit completes the build just as well with the same binary bits as a result. Then a very small amount of dependencies (like the old Hibernate fallback) are just missing.

It's really, really hard to understand why that is a "magnitude more complex".

• 18. Re: Re: Building EAP6 from source
              andy2809

Hi all,

On the official Redhat download page there are now 10 Patches available for EAP 6.1.0. But I can't find any information about the Source Code of these patches.

The source code zip file hasn't changed since the release of EAP 6.1.0.

Does anybody know if and where we can download the corresponding source code?

Andy

• 19. Re: Re: Building EAP6 from source
                sewatech

That's a good question ! I believe that the source code of patches is only available in their source repository, and in the next full release.

BTW, we could also ask an other question : where is the source code of all external artefacts that are patched by redhat ?

• 20. Re: Building EAP6 from source
                  ctomc

Alexis Hassler wrote:

That's a good question ! I believe that the source code of patches is only available in their source repository, and in the next full release.

BTW, we could also ask an other question : where is the source code of all external artefacts that are patched by redhat ?

Hey,

EAP 6.1.1 was just released and its sources are available on ftp.

I don't know the process about one-off patches, but in general one-off patches are provided directly by support team.

All this patches are then part of next release, so 6.1.1 is basically 6.1.0 + all fixes that one-off patches provide + more

On subject of -redhat- artifacts, I think best explanation was done by jason.greene on Re: Using pre-build EAP 6.1.0.Final binary in production thread

"I cetainly understand the skepticism but it is extremely complex. Ccertain government certifications (Common Criteria), requires us to rebuild everything in a secured environment. Not just our code, but every runtime and build time dependency (even maven itself and all of its plugins). Various legal requirements from customers require that we sanitize a number of third party aftifacts. Also due to the long term support requirements we have to ensure that all artifacts can be rebuilt in a reproducible manner without using any external internet downloads or repositories. In 7 years projects can actually vanish wihtout a trace. You would also be surprised to learn that a number of third party projects have produced artifacts which do not match their source tag (e.g. some developer forgets to commit a patch against the tag). Lastly all of this has to integrate with the RHEL and Fedora RPM rules and processes. So our internal build system to do all of this is very complex, and its makes alot of assumptions that are specific to our build environment.

Hope this explains few more things.

--

tomaz

• 21. Re: Re: Building EAP6 from source
                    sewatech

Thanks for you answer Tomaz. And thanks for the link to the discussion. Very interesting, and I missed it.

I understand that the source code is not bundled with patches.

I understand that the source code of the -redhat artefacts is in the maven repository : http://maven.repository.redhat.com/

I understand that theoretically we could build the EAP source code without the -redhat artefacts. Theoretically only because some (non redhat) patches can be applied to the source code and not to the binaries.

Your answer, combined to the linked discussion make things much clearer for me. Thanks.

--

Alexis

• 22. Re: Building EAP6 from source
                      rualsa

Hey,

I`m tired to install jboss manually so I made deb package based on Alexis Hassler build approach.

Notice that Redhat EAP branding is not removed so package is not LGPL compatible.

If someone interested feel free to contribute.

It may be easily adapted to use JBoss AS builds from JBoss Application Server Downloads - JBoss Community

https://github.com/rualsa/eap-build-debian

• 23. Re: Building EAP6 from source
                        gmlopezdev

Hi Alexis,

I'd like to answer whether the artifact built by the build process you facilitate, actually removes the impediments to use it in the same way as the community edition?

Thanks in advance for your response and contribution!

Regards,

Guillermo

• 24. Re: Building EAP6 from source
                          sewatech

Hi Guillermo,

You'd better ask the question to a lawyer...

I think that you can use the artifact internally, but if you have to distribute a product based on it, you'll be facing brand issues.

Alexis

• 25. Re: Building EAP6 from source
                            gmlopezdev

Thanks for your answer Alexis!!!

I understand YANAL however the source code claims to be LGPL so even I do not quite understand why the binaries distributed have a usage restriction, if we build from LGPL source code we shouldn't have any restrictions... I understand that redistribution may pose some issues as per Red Hat trademarks.

It's weird that such a simple question cannot be easily, clearly and concretely replied by any Red Hat guy. At least that I have been able to find...

Could it be possible to get someone to officially answer whether a self built EAP can it be used in production without a subscription?

Thank you all!

1 2 Previous Next