8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 3:38 AM by ehugonnet

Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server

shamseerpc

I am new to jboss EAP server.I was trying to deploy my war file in jboss-eap-6.2 server

(Same war file successfully deployed in jboss-6.0.0.Final and it is running)

i am getting a deployment error... Can anyone please provide me the solution please

error details

911 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-4) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."mams.war".STRUCTURE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."mams.war".STRUCTURE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase STRUCTURE of deployment "mams.war"

Caused by: org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitProcessingException: JBAS018741: Failed to get manifest for deployment "/C:/Users/java/Desktop/jboss-eap-6.2/bin/content/mams.war/WEB-INF/lib/antlr-2.7.5H3.jar"

Caused by: java.io.IOException: invalid manifest format

• 1. Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
          jaikiran

Please post the entire exception stacktrace. By the way are you sure you need that antlr-2.7.5H3.jar in your deployment and if you do need it, does it have a valid MANIFEST.MF file?

• 2. Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
            shamseerpc

Thanks for the reply

I am using spring + hibernate in my application.. and my MANIFEST.MF contain this entry

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Class-Path:

Do i need an entry for every jar file. in  MANIFEST.MF?

• 3. Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
              shamseerpc

Here is my entire exception stacktrace

10:28:15,911 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-4) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."mams.war".STRUCTURE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."mams.war".STRUCTURE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase STRUCTURE of deployment "mams.war"

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:127) [jboss-as-server-7.3.0.Final-redhat-14.jar:7.3.0.Final-redhat-14]

at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1811) [jboss-msc-1.0.4.GA-redhat-1.jar:1.0.4.GA-redhat-1]

at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1746) [jboss-msc-1.0.4.GA-redhat-1.jar:1.0.4.GA-redhat-1]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885) [rt.jar:1.6.0]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907) [rt.jar:1.6.0]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) [rt.jar:1.6.0]

Caused by: org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitProcessingException: JBAS018741: Failed to get manifest for deployment "/C:/Users/java/Desktop/jboss-eap-6.2/bin/content/mams.war/WEB-INF/lib/antlr-2.7.5H3.jar"

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.module.ManifestAttachmentProcessor.getManifest(ManifestAttachmentProcessor.java:78) [jboss-as-server-7.3.0.Final-redhat-14.jar:7.3.0.Final-redhat-14]

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.module.ManifestAttachmentProcessor.deploy(ManifestAttachmentProcessor.java:65) [jboss-as-server-7.3.0.Final-redhat-14.jar:7.3.0.Final-redhat-14]

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:120) [jboss-as-server-7.3.0.Final-redhat-14.jar:7.3.0.Final-redhat-14]

... 5 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: invalid manifest format

at java.util.jar.Manifest.read(Manifest.java:208) [rt.jar:1.6.0]

at java.util.jar.Manifest.<init>(Manifest.java:52) [rt.jar:1.6.0]

at org.jboss.vfs.VFSUtils.readManifest(VFSUtils.java:224)

at org.jboss.vfs.VFSUtils.getManifest(VFSUtils.java:208)

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.module.ManifestAttachmentProcessor.getManifest(ManifestAttachmentProcessor.java:76) [jboss-as-server-7.3.0.Final-redhat-14.jar:7.3.0.Final-redhat-14]

... 7 more

10:28:15,916 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server] (HttpManagementService-threads - 3) JBAS015870: Deploy of deployment "mams.war" was rolled back with the following failure message:

{"JBAS014671: Failed services" => {"jboss.deployment.unit.\"mams.war\".STRUCTURE" => "org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit.\"mams.war\".STRUCTURE: JBAS018733: Failed to process phase STRUCTURE of deployment \"mams.war\"

Caused by: org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitProcessingException: JBAS018741: Failed to get manifest for deployment \"/C:/Users/java/Desktop/jboss-eap-6.2/bin/content/mams.war/WEB-INF/lib/antlr-2.7.5H3.jar\"

Caused by: java.io.IOException: invalid manifest format"}}

10:28:15,918 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-2) JBAS015877: Stopped deployment mams.war (runtime-name: mams.war) in 1ms

• 4. Re: Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
                jaikiran

It looks like a bug which got introduced with a relatively recent change in JBoss VFS [JBVFS-189] Broken MANIFEST.MF Parsing of "Dependencies:" header - JBoss Issue Tracker Fixing bug #WFLY-1467 by padding the stream to a manifest file with a '\n' by ehsavoie · Pull Request #13 · jbossas/jbos…. The manifest file reading fails with the PaddedManifestStream. For example, the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file parsing for the antlr jar here http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/hibernate/antlr/2.7.5H3/antlr-2.7.5H3.jar fails when PaddedManifestStream is used:

package org.myapp;

import org.jboss.vfs.util.PaddedManifestStream;

import java.io.File;
                import java.io.FileInputStream;
                import java.util.jar.Manifest;

/**
                * @author Jaikiran Pai
                */
                public class FooBar {
                    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
                        final File file = new File("/home/me/antlr-2.7.5H3/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF");
                        final FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(file);
                        final Manifest manifest = new Manifest(new PaddedManifestStream(fis));
                        System.out.println("Read manifest " + manifest + " of file " + file.getAbsolutePath());
                    }
                }

You might want to raise a EAP bug https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi and even a WFLY JIRA WildFly - JBoss Issue Tracker (I guess it should be reproducible in latest WildFly too) and point to this thread.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
                  jaikiran

By the way, the manifest reading of that same file passes with a normal FileInputStream. Changing one line in that code above, makes it pass:

final Manifest manifest = new Manifest(fis); 

That's why I think it's related to the change in JBVFS project.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
                    shamseerpc

Thanks for the reply.... antlr-2.7.5H3.jar is required to run the project..( if i remove the jar file then project deployment is successful.. 

but later on i am getting error that says missing jar file)

This is the content inside antlr-2.7.5H3.jar/META-INF/MANIFEST.M F

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Created-By: 0.92-gcc

• 7. Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
                      shamseerpc

I downloaded another version of jar file .antlr_2.7.6.jar this is one is working fine..Your finding was correct and it lead me to solve this..thanks you....

• 8. Re: Failed to get manifest for deployment Jboss-eap-6.2 server
                        ehugonnet

The antlr-2.7.5H3.jar manifest has some NULL char which makes the padding fails.

Ignoring them will make the reading correct.

Attaching issue : [JBVFS-195] Reading MANIFEST with NULL char will fail - JBoss Issue Tracker