7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 4:01 PM by allenjames

Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7

shaun.kalley

I've enabled SNMP monitoring using the  com.sun.management.snmp.interface, com.sun.management.snmp.port, and com.sun.management.snmp.acl.file system properties.  However on startup I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at org.jboss.as.server.Main.main(Main.java:73)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.jboss.modules.Module.run(Module.java:260)

at org.jboss.modules.Main.main(Main.java:291)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The LogManager was not properly installed (you must set the "java.util.logging.manager" system property to "org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager")

at org.jboss.logmanager.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:60)

at org.jboss.logmanager.log4j.BridgeRepositorySelector.<clinit>(BridgeRepositorySelector.java:42)

... 7 more

Can anyone direct me to the solution to this, please?

Thanks,

Shaun

• 1. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
          matt.trisoline

I am also having this same issue. Is it not possible to use the native Java SNMP with Jboss7?

Starting jboss-as: WARNING: Failed to load the specified log manager class org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at org.jboss.as.server.Main.main(Main.java:73)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.jboss.modules.Module.run(Module.java:260)

at org.jboss.modules.Main.main(Main.java:291)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The LogManager was not properly installed (you must set the "java.util.logging.manager" system property to "org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager")

at org.jboss.logmanager.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:60)

at org.jboss.logmanager.log4j.BridgeRepositorySelector.<clinit>(BridgeRepositorySelector.java:42)

... 7 more

Are there any workarounds for this or is there a different native way to retrieve data through SNMP?

• 2. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
            dmlloyd

This should be possible to do, just not in the usual way.  I'll look around a little bit.

• 3. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
              dmlloyd

The only way I see this working is by manually bootstrapping the SNMP adapter class after the container starts instead of using the agent.  You should be able to do this from within a deployment for example, by calling sun.management.snmp.AdaptorBootstrap#initialize() directly.  If you use a POJO deployment you can probably do it with just an XML descriptor.

• 4. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
                scarlson

Stumbled on this and it worked for me.  I did have to add <path name="sun/management/snmp"/> to modules/sun/jdk/main/module.xml .

Thanks

• 5. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
                  allenjames

This solution work for me as well, but i also had to include <path name="sun/management"/> in addition to the <path name="sun/management/snmp"/> to modules/sun/jdk/main/module.xml

• 6. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
                    bha007

Hi,

Can you explain a little more how you got it running? Did you write a class for that?

I did the setup part but I miss the activation...

Thanks

• 7. Re: Enabling SNMP in JBoss 7
                      allenjames

Hi Bruno,

Yes, I wrote a class which invokes the AdaptorBootstrap.initialize() method that David Lloyd mentioned in his post.  We packed that class in an ear file which is deployed upon start-up of the JBoss server.

Hope this helps.