13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 9:31 AM by brian.villanueva

cant modify deployment-timeout

liuliu

hi,

i am using eclipse indigo-sr2 with latest jboss tool to deploy a project on a jboss 7.1 server. everytime i modify the deployment-timeout of standalone.xml in eclipse and start the server,

the line is reset by something with default timeout value when the server stops.

how can i modify this value somewhere?

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
          maxandersen

and it does not happen if you start/stop it from command line ?

• 2. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
            rob.stryker

Hi  Liumin!

Can you give some more details on what exactly you're doing? How ar you modifying the deployment-timeout and how are you noticing it's been changed back? 

Thanks!    

• 3. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
              liuliu

for max :

there is no problem if i start the server with standalone.bat

for rob :

what i did is :

1 I modify the file standalone.xml,  in eclipse/in admin console/in a editor

2 I start the jboss in eclipse, the modification is taken by jboss

3 then a stop the jboss in eclipse

4 then the eclipse told me, the file is modified by system

5 i click on ok to reload the file, the timeout parameter is removed.

ps 1: i dont deploy directly in the jboss deployment directory, it is deployed in the workspace/metadata directory

ps 2: only the parameter on the line "jbosstoolsscanner1" is removed.

one more question :

i found a standalone_xml_history directory, it is created by jboss or jboss tool?

thanks

• 4. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                maxandersen

standalone_xml_history is managed by AS7.

One of the big changes in AS7 is that it writes back to its config file when changes are done via management api.

the jbosstoolsscanner1 is controlled by jbosstools and would like to understand why you want to set the timeout parameter on it ? what value is it that you want instead?

• 5. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                  liuliu

hi,

in our application, we creat a applcation cache in a init servlet, so we need more than 60 sec to start. and if i dont set this time out more than 60 seconds, all ejb lookup fail after 60 seconds.

• 6. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                    esachse

I am experiencing the same issue.  Our application is very large, and it takes more than 60 seconds to deploy.  This is common with all "real world" applictions; many of them take a while to initialize all of the ejbs and other components.

If the JBoss Tools is controlling the jbosstoolsscanner1, then the tools needs to let the user set the time out parameter.

• 7. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                      rob.stryker

Can you please clarify what in the xml you would change?

As far as I know, when modifying deployment scanners, I can add a scanner or change it's "scan-interval".  I am unaware of other settings which you may be requesting. Is the 'timeout' you're asking about the scan-interval element in the xml?

• 8. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                        maxandersen

as Rob asks - which attribute/element is it exactly you want us to include/make configurable ?

Please paste the exact xml that works and what you actually see us add ?

• 9. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                          esachse

The attribute that we need to be able to configure is deployment-timeout

This XML works.  The value of 99999 for deployment-timeout is larger than required, but it is a number I put in the configuration to get it working.

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:deployment-scanner:1.1">
                                      <deployment-scanner path="deployments" relative-to="jboss.server.base.dir" scan-interval="5000" deployment-timeout="99999"/>
                                  </subsystem>

• 10. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                            maxandersen

Thanks! *now* I grok it

That would be a new feature (or bugfix dependent on your POV) for sure.

I was trying to see if there is a way to configure the default deployment timout making it something you can set outside the individual deployment-scanner, but unfortunately seems like its hardcoded to 600 in https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/blob/master/build/src/main/resources/docs/schema/jboss-as-deployment-scanner_1_1.xsd#L106

@Rob says he is working on an option for this - i'll let him create/point to the jira.

• 11. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                              rob.stryker

Since I forgot to link it, just wanted to note a JIRA was opened for this.  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-15287

• 12. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                                maxandersen

btw. if you on the server under Deployment select Use the JBoss deploy folder instead of deploying to workspace you don't need the explicitly added scanner and you can then control the timeout by editing standalone.xml

Downside is that you'll be deploying directly into the server deployments directory, but if it is on your local non-shared install that shouldn't be a problem.

• 13. Re: cant modify deployment-timeout
                                  brian.villanueva

I haven't tried using the JBoss deploy folder, but it appears that this is still a problem when using the 'custom deploy folder' (which is what we use because we have multiple server home directories defined for different apps which use different standalone.xml configurations). Then again, perhaps this is fixed in a newer JBoss Tools release than I'm using... I happen to be stuck with Indigo for now.