13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 1:19 PM by cpuffalt

Paid support?

magick93

Hi all

Where can we turn we need support with Errai?

We have chosen to build our application using Errai after trying many other technologies.

Now, we are delayed by several issues and while the help from the forum is good, there just arent enough people using Errai, and thus support here is very slow and limited.

We have 3 issues that are now delaying us significantly:

We cannot get jpa in the browser to work

We have problems with 2.4

Errai Cordova does not build

There are probably other areas we could do with support too - but these areas are critical, and we feel like we have exhausted all areas for support.

Are there any experts who can help?

• 1. Re: Paid support?
          csa

Hi Anton,

Looking through the forum history it seems you have always gotten a response within a day and that the issues were resolved really quickly (with the same or the day after). We are trying really hard to keep up with all incoming community requests here in the forum and on our IRC channel.

To your outstanding issues:

Errai Cordova: This was just due to the wrong version number (please use 3.0-SNAPSHOT), the latest docs can be found here: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ERRAI/Errai+Cordova#ErraiCordova-Mavenbuild

Feedback is always welcome to improve our docs.

Errai JPA: I wasn't able to find the issue you have in the forum. Can you create a new entry describing the problem you're having?

Problem with 2.4: What are these? The only issue I see left is that your Jenkins build freezes on Amazon's servers. Is that the only issue?

Cheers,

Christian

• 2. Re: Paid support?
            magick93

Hi Christian

Other members of my team are also posting here.

All the responses I get are from you and other members of the errai dev team - which is really great. We use other Jboss products, and its the same - very helpful, and fast, responses from the guys who are actually building the products. I used to build on Microsoft technology - and I would never get anything like that. So, I am very thankful to have the opportunity to correspond easily with you.

Regarding our issues - I will ask my team update the threads here, especially the JPA issue.

The interest in paid support also comes from the fact that we are building a critical application on your technology - and it would be nice to know that as we grow, we can pay for fast assistance. On the Errai website it says there support plans are coming - erraiproject.org/get-support/ - can you eleborate on this?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Paid support?
              cpuffalt

Christian,

Back to the issue of paid support, is Errai a supported product under the JBoss Web Framework umbrella? (Or is it JBoss Developer Framework -- the RedHat and JBoss websites use different terminology?)  Is support even purchaseable from RedHat for the JWF?  Unfortunately jboss.org is littered with many abandoned projects making it a gamble when deciding which ones will continue to be developed even a year or two from now.  As far as I can tell virtually all the active project team members are employed by RedHat so if a business decision is made to move those resources to a different project Errai will be dead.  Paid support would provide at least some assurance of the long-term viability of the project (regardless of how responsive the current team members are here on the forum). 

Thanks,

Corey

• 4. Re: Paid support?
                csa

Hi Anton and Corey,

I understand your concerns. Errai 2.2 and 2.3 are supported as Tech Preview in Red Hats WFK offering. We are still working on the details going forward with Errai 2.4 and  3.0.

Errai is also used and relied on heavily in a number of other current and future Red Hat products. So, there shouldn't be any concern about the project disappearing.

What type/level of support are you interested in? Is it mostly runtime/production support or more about development time/consulting?

Cheers,

Christian

• 5. Re: Paid support?
                  cpuffalt

For us it would be largely runtime/production support with some assurance of bug fixes/updates to support new browsers etc.  I assume this is the sort of thing that would be covered under the existing RedHat WFK plan?  I filled in the form on the RedHat website requesting more information a few days ago but haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Is it likely that Errai will be promoted out of Tech Preview in WFK in the near future?

Thanks,

Corey

• 6. Re: Paid support?
                    magick93

Jonathan,

For now our focus is on developing, and developing the best way possible.

Adhoc Consultation

Our app is not that big.

What would really help us, is if you or someone of your skill could spend 3-4 hours going over our app and advising on how to do things better. So, so quick n dirty consultation. That would be very beneficial.

Priority fixes

Going forward, we will become very reliant on Errai - and need the reassurance of a stable platform. So, a program that could pay to have bugs escalated. Or a platform SLA.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Paid support?
                      csa

Thanks for your feedback guys! All I can say right now is that we are working on it. The fact that you're expressing interest certainly helps with that. Errai will not be supported as part of WFK in the immediate future.

• 8. Re: Paid support?
                        magick93

Errai will not be supported as part of WFK in the immediate future.

That doesnt sound good.

• 9. Re: Paid support?
                          cpuffalt

Ouch.  That's unfortunate.  That likely makes in a non-starter for our project since it's something key to our business and will be something we need to support for 5+ years...

• 10. Re: Paid support?
                            csa

Hi Anton and Corey,

A program like WFK that supports a multitude of frameworks isn't the only way to offer support for Errai. Like I said, we're working on it. Don't let that stop you from contacting Red Hat sales and communicating that you're interested in paid Errai support.

Christian

• 11. Re: Paid support?
                              cpuffalt

I filled out that Sales contact form at RedHat (http://www.redhat.com/contact/sales.html) over a week ago now but haven't heard back from anyone so I'm trying, but not getting very far. Can you suggest a better way to contact sales?

• 12. Re: Paid support?
                                csa

Hi Corey,

I am sorry you had that experience. That should definitely not be the case. Can you email me your contact information to csadilek at redhat com? I will make sure they'll get in touch with you.

Thanks,

Christian

• 13. Re: Paid support?
                                  cpuffalt

Thanks for the offer Christian.  I got a phone call from RedHat just as I was writing up an email to you.