3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2013 3:18 AM by swiderski.maciej

Embedding in Play Framework

bsnl

I am at a point where I need to decide between jBPM5 and Activiti and for all different reasons till now I am leaning towards jbpm but to seal the decision I want to know few things, if any of the users may please help with

1) Has anyone tried integrating JBPM5 with the Java/Scala based Play Framework. Please point me to documentation, if any, that can get me started.

2) Does jBPM5 has (web-based) reporting capabilities like Activiti (http://www.jorambarrez.be/blog/2013/03/22/reporting-capabilities-in-activiti-5-12/)

(or in general does jBPM5's web console offer all the stuff that Activiti Explorer offers)

3) How is 'authorization' handled in jBPM5? (Is there a way to create Groups and do some LDAP integration etc.)?

Thank you for reading all the above questions

I would appreciate if someone can answer too...

• 1. Re: Embedding in Play Framework
          swiderski.maciej

M D wrote:

1) Has anyone tried integrating JBPM5 with the Java/Scala based Play Framework. Please point me to documentation, if any, that can get me started.

Since it's Java based then there are no special things to do, it will be exactly the same way it can be integrated with any other java based solution. Alternatively you can consider to use jBPM as a service and access its capabilities via REST/JMS interface.

M D wrote:

2) Does jBPM5 has (web-based) reporting capabilities like Activiti (http://www.jorambarrez.be/blog/2013/03/22/reporting-capabilities-in-activiti-5-12/)

(or in general does jBPM5's web console offer all the stuff that Activiti Explorer offers)

Reporting capabilities are available in jBPM. In version 5.x they are based on Eclipse BIRT and provides only basic reports out of the box. In version 6 there is state of the art BAM component integrated with jBPM that provides huge amount of reporting and monitoring capabilities, take a look here for bit of preview. Please not that the video is slightly outdated but it should give yousome context of what's comming.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about Actitii Explorer to judge but most likely jBPM covers what is important from process managment point of view (process and tasks operations). See on the video some capabilities of the console too, just make a note that it has been enhanced a lot since that time.

M D wrote:

3) How is 'authorization' handled in jBPM5? (Is there a way to create Groups and do some LDAP integration etc.)?

Yes, integration with LDAP is possible out of the box. Usual case is when the jBPM runs inside the container (e.g. JBoss Application Server) and then you can laverage the power of the JAAS system. Configure the authentication and authorization on application server and jBPM will rely on that regardless if that is based on LDAP or DB or whatever else.

HTH

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Embedding in Play Framework
            bsnl

Excellent, Thank you for taking time to reply.

You are right in saying that the integration should be same as it would be with any other Java based solution. I was concerned because Play is a little different as it's not based on servlet (and breaks the whole EE paradigm) and prohibits one from using Java EE libraries that assume that a Java servlet will respond to requests (or depends on stuff like servletFilter, HttpSessionListener). I being new to both Java and jBPM wasn't sure if that would have any impact in integrating jBPM with Play. (I hope your reply still applies, in light of this information).

• 3. Re: Embedding in Play Framework
              swiderski.maciej

Yes, that still applies. The core engine and human task service does not have dependencies to servlets at all. The tooling that comes with jBPM out of the box is based on JEE but that does not enforce you to use it. If you have another framework that you would like to use you can embed the engine and human task service within it and provide your own way of invoking the operations on it/ That is completely valid case.

HTH