4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 2:15 AM by wdfink

Recommendation for HDD utilization - JBoss and database

lszymik

Hello,

I am looking for recommendation how to deploy JBoss server with application and database to gain good performance. Generally all modern serves have mutlicore CPUs and large amount of memory. How about HDD recommendation? Should I install everything on single HDD? Does anybody have any experience with deployment on RAID? I also consider deploying system on 2 or 3 separated HDD (one with database data, one wiht JBoss, maybe OS on another drive) I need to deploy everything on single machine - small workgroup scenario. Big deployment will have DB on dedicated machine.

Thank you in advance for any info or tip.

Lukasz

• 1. Re: Recommendation for HDD utilization - JBoss and database
          wdfink

JBoss will have benefit from a multicore system.

But all the parameters depend on the application.

In general it will be good to have a fast IO to disc to write the logfiles and store some necessary data (tmp or data).

But if you have not a big amount of data stored on a disc increasing the speed of IO might have no benefit for the application.

The amount of memory is the same, if you have an application with a small footprint, i.e. fast actions with only small data, a big heap might not good as it takes long to clean and adjust it and a smaller one will have less pauses.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Recommendation for HDD utilization - JBoss and database
            rhusar

+1

I also suspect that improving disk I/O is not going to help the deployment much apart from tmp/data writes and server startup.

So I would focus on the database needs and some redundancy setup to keep the data safe.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Recommendation for HDD utilization - JBoss and database
              lszymik

Thank you for information.

I have investigated it further and for sure the biggest impact is toward database performance. One of my application's use case is uploading and downloding files and these are rather big files.

The upload and download is realized over web service deployed on JBoss server. This is not perfect architecture, however it is as it is. I see that transfer of files is impacting database a lot. I suspect that any JBoss operation on temp, data and log directories might be affected.

Thanks

Łukasz

• 4. Re: Recommendation for HDD utilization - JBoss and database
                wdfink

What is the impact? Maybe the network will be overloaded by up- and downloads. Maybe you split the network interfaces for extern and intern communication in tht case.