9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 6:15 PM by maxandersen

Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts

daxxy

I have no idea if this is an eclipse or jboss tools problem.  I already posted this here 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16821926/where-is-this-repository-prompt-coming-from-in-new-juno-install

but have had no answers.  That link contains a screenshot.  I have to cancel out several times and is so persistent there is one project I can't even close because every tiem I right click on the darn thing I get prompted for my username and password over and over.

????

• 1. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
          daxxy

I resolved this be recreating the workspace and re-importing the projects.  I must have set some preference that started this cycle.

No idea what though.

• 2. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
            maxandersen

Just a guess - looks like your corporate proxy asking for permissions.

Any chance you setup proxies in the old workspace but not in the new ?

• 3. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
              adietish

Hi

I'm very sure that you have some preferences settings for a proxy in Eclipse (Window->Preferences->Proxy). Assuming that you dont need a proxy then clearing those will prevent this dialog from popping up.

If you need a proxy then things get more complicated. A bad design in the JDK, a very lacking default proxy plugin and several competing fixes cause Eclipse to behave differently depending on the plugins you have. The dialog you screenshotted is caused by the default Eclipse proxy support in org.eclipse.ui.net. It's limitations are very well known but none fixed those in the platform yet:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=196780

This very lacking plugin is overriden by EGit, Scout and others. Depending on which of these plugins you have, you will or wont get the above dialog. The best advice I can give you is to make sure that you have EGit installed (and make sure it's started: have some git shared projects in your workspace or open the "Git Repository Exploring" perspective" at least once). EGit overrides the default proxy plugin by a far superior plugin that prevents the above dialog from appearing.

If you need more details, the you can have a look at a very similar issue we ran into in OpenShift/JBoss Tools. The jira issue holds all informations and insights I collected when looking into this weirdness:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-12999

Cheers

André

• 4. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
                daxxy

Our environment permits very restricted access to the internet and, of course, we must use a proxy -- only the host in the pop-up is not it.  If it were prompting me for access to the proxy I would have recognized it right away as the hostname is easily identifiable as the proxy.  To add to the complication, the proxy only works with IE -- in other words the firewall only permits access to the internet via the proxy AND IE.  Eclipse may NOT access the internet, even through the proxy.  Makes installing a software and updates a pain.

I do think it's somehow related to version control as the host mentioned in the pop-up used to be our SVN repository.   Since you mention opening the EGit perspective causes EGit's proxy plugin to override the default proxy plugin, I wonder if opening the SVN perspective once prompted an analogous action triggering the start of this pop-up?  I would not have fiddled with the git preferences since we don't use it.  Whether the EGit plugin is installed I don't know (did it come with jboss tools perhaps?).  The SVN preferences do not contain a reference to this host, at least I couldn't find one, but it must be related.

I just realized subclipse isn't installed -- doesn't it come with JBDS 7? (that's what I'm upt o now and it's working quite well!)

Thanks for all the info.  I'll have to install subclipse at some point and we'll see what happens then...

• 5. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
                  adietish

Hi Tanya

Our environment permits very restricted access to the internet and, of course, we must use a proxy -- only the host in the pop-up is not it.  If it were prompting me for access to the proxy I would have recognized it right away as the hostname is easily identifiable as the proxy.  To add to the complication, the proxy only works with IE -- in other words the firewall only permits access to the internet via the proxy AND IE.  Eclipse may NOT access the internet, even through the proxy.  Makes installing a software and updates a pain.

I do think it's somehow related to version control as the host mentioned in the pop-up used to be our SVN repository.   Since you mention opening the EGit perspective causes EGit's proxy plugin to override the default proxy plugin, I wonder if opening the SVN perspective once prompted an analogous action triggering the start of this pop-up?  I would not have fiddled with the git preferences since we don't use it.  Whether the EGit plugin is installed I don't know (did it come with jboss tools perhaps?).  The SVN preferences do not contain a reference to this host, at least I couldn't find one, but it must be related.

I just realized subclipse isn't installed -- doesn't it come with JBDS 7? (that's what I'm upt o now and it's working quite well!)

Thanks for all the info.  I'll have to install subclipse at some point and we'll see what happens then...

Reading you and looking at your screenshot a 2nd time made me think that I was wrong in thinking that the dialog was related to the Eclipse proxy. If the host you see was your SVN host then the closest guess is that there must be some SVN setting left in your workspace (as Max pointed out) that must be triggering some SVN plugin.

You mention SVN preferences, so you definitely have a SVN plugin installed. Since you're sure abourt subclipse not being available you must be running Subversive, the SVN plugin that's part of the Eclipse distribution (http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/). Whenever the popup shows up make sure it's focused and hit "Alt+Shift+F1". The plug-in spy will then tell you what plugin is prompting you.You can verify this in your JBSD via Help->About JBoss Developer Studio->Installation Details->Plug-Ins, scroll trough the list and look for "SVN Team provider". The presence of a SVN perspective in your JBDS would definitely also confirm this. 

Back to the cause of being prompted I'd reiterate over what Max pointed out above: my guess is that the project you're editing still had SVN settings in it, causing Subversive to try to connect to your former SVN host (which was referenced in the file within the .svn folders). Did you verify that there are no ".svn" folders in your project any more? I'd very much think that using the old workspace with the project featuring .svn folder was causing those prompts since re-importing those into a fresh workspace solve it.

Cheers

André

• 6. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
                    maxandersen

If you are running JBDS svn is not installed by default - its available from JBoss Central under software updates.

• 7. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
                      daxxy

I installed subclipse yesterday and still no problem. :-)  I'm back to smooth sailing.

• 8. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
                        rwolosker

If you install SVN from Central Jboss, the tool is available bagaça that has nothing to do with this subversive in Eclipse distributions such as INDIGO. You need to reinstall SVN from this url http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/0.7/update-site/. Then, the SVN is available which you are familiar.

• 9. Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts
                          maxandersen

Hi Ricardo,

The plugins that get installed are copies from that updatesite thus it would be really useful to me if you could explain what is not working for you when installing SVN plugins from Central ?