11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 9:48 AM by cvk

Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse

cvk

Hi,

I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon:

We do have a JUnit test case that acts as client to beans deployed in JBoss, we run these test cases either with the Eclipse JUnit

runner or from command line (via ant scripts). Both client and server, in both scenarios run on JDK 6.0

For all normal bean invocations, that end without an exception, the behavior is identical.

There is one testcase, that provokes an exception in the commit phase (by letting an XAResource throw an XAException).

From within Eclipse, the result is as desired: the client receives an EJBTransactionRolledbackException.

However when run from command line (i.e. ant), some error occurs when unmarshalling the beans response:

Caused by: java.io.StreamCorruptedException: Unexpected byte found when reading an object: 128
           at org.jboss.marshalling.river.RiverUnmarshaller.doReadObject(RiverUnmarshaller.java:750)
           at org.jboss.marshalling.river.RiverUnmarshaller.doReadObject(RiverUnmarshaller.java:209)
           at org.jboss.marshalling.AbstractObjectInput.readObject(AbstractObjectInput.java:37)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.remoting.ProtocolMessageHandler.readAttachments(ProtocolMessageHandler.java:58)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.remoting.InvocationExceptionResponseHandler$MethodInvocationExceptionResultProducer.getResult(InvocationExceptionResponseHandler.java:85)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.getResult(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:272)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.TransactionInterceptor.handleInvocationResult(TransactionInterceptor.java:46)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.getResult(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:274)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.ReceiverInterceptor.handleInvocationResult(ReceiverInterceptor.java:129)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.getResult(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:262)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.awaitResponse(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:437)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBInvocationHandler.doInvoke(EJBInvocationHandler.java:140)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBInvocationHandler.doInvoke(EJBInvocationHandler.java:121)
           at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBInvocationHandler.invoke(EJBInvocationHandler.java:104)
           at $Proxy92.modifyAndStopDbBeforeCommit(Unknown Source)
           at com.versant.jpa.j2ee.jboss.test.JBossReconnectTest$1.run(JBossReconnectTest.java:40)

Does anyone have a clue, why the behavior can be different?

Or in general, what might cause the StreamCorruptedException we're seeing?

Thank you!

Christian

• 1. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
          jaikiran

Christian, welcome to the forums!

Christian von Kutzleben wrote:

However when run from command line (i.e. ant), some error occurs when unmarshalling the beans response:

Caused by: java.io.StreamCorruptedException: Unexpected byte found when reading an object: 128
               at org.jboss.marshalling.river.RiverUnmarshaller.doReadObject(RiverUnmarshaller.java:750)
               at org.jboss.marshalling.river.RiverUnmarshaller.doReadObject(RiverUnmarshaller.java:209)
               at org.jboss.marshalling.AbstractObjectInput.readObject(AbstractObjectInput.java:37)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.remoting.ProtocolMessageHandler.readAttachments(ProtocolMessageHandler.java:58)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.remoting.InvocationExceptionResponseHandler$MethodInvocationExceptionResultProducer.getResult(InvocationExceptionResponseHandler.java:85)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.getResult(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:272)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.TransactionInterceptor.handleInvocationResult(TransactionInterceptor.java:46)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.getResult(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:274)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.ReceiverInterceptor.handleInvocationResult(ReceiverInterceptor.java:129)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.getResult(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:262)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientInvocationContext.awaitResponse(EJBClientInvocationContext.java:437)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBInvocationHandler.doInvoke(EJBInvocationHandler.java:140)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBInvocationHandler.doInvoke(EJBInvocationHandler.java:121)
               at org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBInvocationHandler.invoke(EJBInvocationHandler.java:104)
               at $Proxy92.modifyAndStopDbBeforeCommit(Unknown Source)
               at com.versant.jpa.j2ee.jboss.test.JBossReconnectTest$1.run(JBossReconnectTest.java:40)

It looks like Ant is configured to use a different version of Java which appears to be triggering this bug in EJBCLIENT https://issues.jboss.org/browse/EJBCLIENT-46. It's been fixed in a later version of EJBCLIENT and JBoss AS7 (now renamed to WildFly https://community.jboss.org/blogs/mark.little/2013/04/19/and-the-winner-is)

• 2. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
            cvk

Thanks for your reply!

I've included log output into the client and the bean: it's both Java 1.6 and the same patch level, still I'm getting this exception-

• 3. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
              wdfink

Is it possible that ant and eclipse use different versions of the ejb-client api?

What version of AS do you use?

• 4. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                cvk

I've tried that with EAP 6.0.1 on command line, for Eclipse I've tried both, EAP 6.0.1 and AS 7.1.1

Originally I've used the jboss-client.jar from 7.1.1, I've updated that now to the one from EAP 6.0.1, there

is no change in behavior.

• 5. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                  jaikiran

How do you run it from Ant? Run the Ant build using:

ant -v -d <your target name if any>

and attach the output. Also what's the output of the following commands from the same command prompt where this fails:

java -version

echo $JAVA_HOME

• 6. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                    cvk

Please find attached the output of my ant call with "-v -d"

java -version returns:

java version "1.6.0_45"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_45-b06)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.45-b01, mixed mode)

set JAVA_HOME returns:

JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.6.0_45

I've just updated my JDK to patch 45, but that did not change anything

• 7. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                      cvk

I still have not solved this problem. One thing I found out: when I throw a RuntimeException in the bean's method body

instead of causing an exception in the commit protocol, then the River unmarshaller reports a different exception:

Caused by: java.io.EOFException: Read past end of file

at org.jboss.marshalling.SimpleDataInput.eofOnRead(SimpleDataInput.java:126)

at org.jboss.marshalling.SimpleDataInput.readUnsignedByteDirect(SimpleDataInput.java:263)

at org.jboss.marshalling.SimpleDataInput.readUnsignedByte(SimpleDataInput.java:224)

at org.jboss.marshalling.river.RiverUnmarshaller.doReadObject(RiverUnmarshaller.java:646)

It works fine from within Eclipse as before.

• 8. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                        cvk

As a workaround, would it be possible, to configure another marshaller/unmarshaller than the RiverMarshaller?

• 9. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                          cvk

I'm currently debugging into the RiverUnmarshaller:

InvocationExceptionResponseHandler.MethodInvocationExceptionResultProducer.getResult()

l.82: Object result = unmarshaller.readObject();

In Eclipse as well as on command line, "result" contains the correctly deserialized Exception

l.85 final Map<String, Object> attachments = InvocationExceptionResponseHandler.this.readAttachments(unmarshaller);

In Eclipse, readAttachments() immediately returns, because:

final int numAttachments = input.readByte();

if (numAttachments == 0) {

return null;

}

the number of attachments is 0.

When run from command line, the number of attachments is 57 - but no bytes follow.

So either the stream is not correctly initialized, or there are 57 attachments missing.

Btw. what information is transmitted as attachments?

In which class and method is the attachment encoded? (In case, I need to debug that as well)

Thank you!

Christian

• 10. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                            cvk

After some more debugging and analysis, I've filed:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-1456

• 11. Re: Getting StreamCorruptedException when running client from command line, works fine from within Eclipse
                              cvk

After I verified the fix for WFLY-1456, which turned out to be a duplicate and was fixed in EAP 6.1, the problem persisted,

but after a lot of debugging I figured out, what caused it:

Oour two environments (Eclipse and command line)

which showed different behavior (worked vs. StreamCorruptedException) had 2 different versions of javax.ejb.EJBException

in the classpath (and the 2 environments ordered the classpath differently)

one of the EJBException classes has a field:

private java.lang.Exception causeException;

the other has no declared fields

After serializing all other fields, JBoss serialized this field (here: 2 bytes) but only

the client with the right EJBException version deserialized everything correctly, the other

one deserialized everything less the 2 bytes. So when "readAttachments" was called, a wrong value

was read, because the position in the bytestream was wrong.