2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 5:02 AM by salaboy21

Abort / retry / skip UI

sbremal

Hello

I have a requirement for the following scenario: the jBPM workflow suppose to check the availability of various IT systems, it will also make changes to the systems. Each step is implemented as web service (implemented in Python).

It is expected that each step fails multiple times, and here comes the real issue. We need a smart user driven retry mechanism. The aim is that a failed step will generate a user task where it can be retried, skipped, aborted etc. (The workflow and further checks are suspended until a failed checkpoint step is remedied manually and is retried.)

How would you guys implement it?

I imagine a user task with an HTML form (error message, 3 buttons etc.). Where do I put the web service error handling? Where do I put the workflow signalling code? How do I make it generic so it 'guards' all web service calls in the entire workflow?

Thanks.

Cheers

B.

• 1. Re: Abort / retry / skip UI
          saig0

Hi sbremal!

You can create a sub process to handle your web service calls. See the following process:

Subprocess.png

I created a workitem handler for web service calling. The result of the web service call will set in a process variable. If the call fails, the process starts a user task and choose: retry, skip or abort. The user choise will set in an other process variable and evaluate in a gateway.

• 2. Re: Abort / retry / skip UI
            salaboy21

Hiya,

I've implemented a mechanisms that gives you retries, async executions and also allows human interventions.

You can take a look at the code here:

https://github.com/Salaboy/human-task-poc-proposal/tree/master/executor-service

I will be working on improve what is there hopefully during the following month, but I believe that this project is exactly what you are looking for.

Cheers