4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 2:14 AM by julien_viet

Using dependencies from the pom.xml

mcgin

I'm using Shrinkwrap in conjunction with Arquillian for my integration testing.  At the moment I'm including dependencies using the code below which works fine.  However I don't want to have to duplicate all the maven dependencies in my test classes seems like a bad idea for maintenance etc. It would be much simpler to to be able to pick them up from the projects pom.xml.  Is there any way to get Shrinkwrap to do that?

{code}ShrinkWrap.create(WebArchive.class, "test.war")

.addAsManifestResource("test-jboss-deployment-structure.xml","jboss-deployment-structure.xml")

.addAsWebInfResource(EmptyAsset.INSTANCE, ArchivePaths.create("beans.xml"))

.addAsLibraries(DependencyResolvers

.use(MavenDependencyResolver.class)

.artifacts(

"org.apache.httpcomponents:httpclient:4.1.2",

"com.google.guava:guava:10.0.1"

)

.resolveAsFiles());

{code}

• 1. Re: Using dependencies from the pom.xml
          kpiwko

Hi,

sure, MavenDependencyResolver is able to do that. You can check usage at https://github.com/shrinkwrap/resolver/blob/master/impl-maven/src/test/java/org/jboss/shrinkwrap/resolver/impl/maven/PomDependenciesUnitTestCase.java and https://github.com/shrinkwrap/resolver/blob/master/impl-maven/src/test/java/org/jboss/shrinkwrap/resolver/impl/maven/PomFilteringUnitTestCase.java , for instance.

To be precise, you're likely interested in one of these:

1/ Reusing versions from pom.xml file

WebArchive war = ShrinkWrap.create(WebArchive.class, name + ".war").addAsLibraries(

DependencyResolvers.use(MavenDependencyResolver.class).loadEffectivePom("target/poms/test-remote-child.xml")

.up().artifact("org.jboss.shrinkwrap.test:test-deps-c").resolveAs(GenericArchive.class));

2/ Importing all dependencies specified in pom.xml

WebArchive war = ShrinkWrap.create(WebArchive.class, name + ".war").addAsLibraries(

DependencyResolvers.use(MavenDependencyResolver.class).loadEffectivePom("target/poms/test-child.xml")

.importAllDependencies().resolveAs(JavaArchive.class))

3/ Importing all dependencies and do some filtering

File[] jars = DependencyResolvers

.use(MavenDependencyResolver.class)

.loadEffectivePom("target/poms/test-filter.xml")

.importAnyDependencies(

// this is applied before resolution, e.g. has no information about transitive dependencies

// it means:

// 1. it excludes whole tree of the exclusion

// 2. it does not affect transitive dependencies of other elements

new ExclusionsFilter("org.jboss.shrinkwrap.test:test-deps-a", "org.jboss.shrinkwrap.test:test-deps-c",

"org.jboss.shrinkwrap.test:test-deps-d")).resolveAsFiles();

There's a bunch of filters, you can even pass then to resolveAsFiles(MavenFilter) methods:

https://github.com/shrinkwrap/resolver/tree/master/api-maven/src/main/java/org/jboss/shrinkwrap/resolver/api/maven/filter

• 2. Re: Using dependencies from the pom.xml
            julien_viet

How about having :

DependencyResolvers.use(MavenDependencyResolver.class).useCurrentPom().resolvePomDependency("foo:bar").importAllDependencies()

useCurrentPom() -> resolve the current pom running the test

resolvePomDependency() -> resolve a dependency as another pom

so in a multi project I can have two pom A->B:

- A is where I run test

- B is where I specify the dependencies I want in my package

the goal is to:

- avoid to harcode /target in unit test and deal with those details

- make B part of maven life cycle when release plugin is used

- import only the dependencies from B and not have to deal with exclusion because artifact may be added to A or removed from A which would impact the test

You would make a bunch of people happy and relieved.

• 3. Re: Using dependencies from the pom.xml
              alrubinger

Hey Julian:

Back from JavaOne and PTO, thanks for waiting patiently.

To be sure I'm groking this correctly, you want:

1) To use the "current" POM "A" to resolve a dependency "B" (we have this already)

2) The dependency "B" to be resolved is of packagingType "pom"

3) From that resolved second-level POM "B", resolve some other dependency, "C".

Does this describe the feature request you'd like?

• 4. Re: Using dependencies from the pom.xml
                julien_viet

Hi Andrew,

I will tell you what my use case is:

I need to write unit test with junit in a maven project and package archives containing jars. The maven dependency resolver is the solution to this but what I want to achieve is to have the dependencies to be in a pom and this pom with the constraints:

1/ the pom is managed by the project running the unit test

2/ the pom is not the current pom project because it can contain many dependencies that I don't want and I don't want to filter them. It should be a pom dedicated to this use case

To achieve this the following project structure is used:

1/ two modules A and B children of a parent P (classic)

2/ B contains the dependencies, one important point is that B could contain dependencies to some artifact to the current project with a -SNAPSHOT version

3/ A depends on B so we are sure that B is processed before A

- when the project is released the dependencies will be upgraded correctly in B and the junit test in A does not need to be updated

- the test in A should package the dependencies in B only and nothing more

It would be great to have a way tol achieve this in a trivial manner using ShrinkWrap resolver only.